Reamping Noob

Hello All!
I've decided to actually try and begin reamping while recording. I tried using the usb route, but all of my audio on the track still goes through my axe fx.

I set up asio4all and have my interface and axe fx both together and have routed things accordingly but no luck.

I've heard the alternate way is to have output 2 echo input 1 and record the dry track. That works. I can then send that from my interface on its own output back to the axe fx but the question comes what next. I currently have it in input 2 return and tried placing an FXLoop in the mix but that doesn't work. Should I just switch the cable on the instrument in to the output of my interface instead?

Echo input 1 to output 2 does not work if there is an FX Loop block on the grid. If you want to use the FX Loop block for reamping, place it in parallel at the front of the grid. Leave Output 2 Echo set to none. That will send the direct input (after the input block and gate) to Output 2 and will feed a return track from your interface to the grid via Input 2. You can then use a mixer block after to select between the output of the FX Loop block or the dry input signal from the Input block to feed the grid.

You can always physically swap cables, but that can be a pain if the Axe is tucked away in a rack.

Does your interface support SPDIF or AES? You can use those for reamping too.

You can't reamp with the mix unless you have the dry track physically routed to different outputs from the main mix. There's only one set of USB outputs, so you have to solo the dry track on playback so the rest of the mix doesn't get processed by the Axe.

Last edited:
Ah man thanks for the help. I do have spdif on my interface (its a focusrite scarlett 18i20). I just got some spdif cables today to give it a go trying that. Yea sadly I do have it tucked in a rack so the changing of cables can happen but it'll be tough.

Back
Top Bottom