Reamping I got hiss

Proper 4x4 re-amping needs to be in the Axe-Fx III, since Cliff all but said it is not possible for the Axe-II.

Have you tried anybody else's interface? I'm starting to wonder if it isn't something with the Halo, dude. If it's really as specific as you say (no hum in wet tracks), you should try something else on the interface end to check it out. I realize that's a pain, but it's the only way to make sure it's the Axe. Dig?

I have three options to send signal in the Metric Halo - +4, -10 or "monitor." I can't remember what level monitor is. Obviously I'm re-amping an unbalanced and I'm coming out balanced. I also raised the output level on the ULN-8 for the track I'm sending. I did the same in the I/O pane of the AFII.

I think it's a gain staging thing. BUT I don't hear the hiss on the same preset when playing directly. But I've done a lot to lesson the amount of hiss. Compressor settings and a volume block I had when I'm using my food controller, which I'm not now. The volume block added a lot of hiss as did the compressor, when re-amping only.

Hm, is this necessary? Pardon me for going a bit OT, but when I reamp I just send my DI signal out of an extra output on my interface (motu 828mk2) via Reaper to the rear input of the Axe and that's it.

Yes and no. I find that I'm having some forms of ground loop issue too and sometimes I have to reamp through various analog pedals and the result is a lot of noise coming out from my interface. The reamp box has an isolation transformer that helps reduce this to almost nothing. And I have been reamping to the rear inputs for quite awhile and still there is hiss present whenever I'm on a high gain preset with the gate off.

I'm assuming it's user error.

Did you set boost/pad for the dry output as high as possible (before tone loss and internal clipping)? That'll improve the s/n ratio by the amount you add.

But, I repeat...a dry guitar signal is weak, and the s/n ratio on output 2 is low. There's no way around added hiss in that scenario. Output 1 is better. Try comparing them for the dry track.

How can i use output 1 when I'm already using it for the main outputs?

Iow output 2 is just for reamp. Out 1 is the main output.

How can i use output 1 when I'm already using it for the main outputs?

Iow output 2 is just for reamp. Out 1 is the main output.

For problem seeking...record a dry track using output 1 to see if it betters the noise floor. You don't even have to play, just compare the hiss from two silent files played back to the Axe.

Regarding recording with output 1 - I do that of course. The original track has three tracks - two in stereo from output 1 and one dry from output 2. There's no hiss from output 1.

It's got to be a s/n thing. The dry is recorded well below the level recorded from out 1. Therefore the signal coming to the Axe II for re-amping is lower and the relative levels are quite different when it hits the compressor and volume and amp blocks. I also boosted the dry track while recording, just not enough. I have tried various ways of increasing the output signal of the dry track. Using the boost/pad in the I/O menu of the Axe. Increasing the output level from the ULN-8 in various ways. Jacking the output from the DAW. In the past I've boosted the bit volume of the soundbite itself.

But when I've done it using USB, even though the signal is well below that that I'm using here, I didn't notice the hiss.

I'd be curious to know who has done re-amping the way I'm describing. The hiss may not be an obvious, in your face, hit you over the head hiss. I became aware of it at first in the silence preceding the start of the track. I'm curious if it's JUST ME, or it's just the way it is and some others have just missed it.

I'd be curious to know who has done re-amping the way I'm describing. The hiss may not be an obvious, in your face, hit you over the head hiss. I became aware of it at first in the silence preceding the start of the track. I'm curious if it's JUST ME, or it's just the way it is and some others have just missed it.

No, but I've used it 4 CM. The hiss problem was only on Out 2, not 1.

I bet applying a bunch of clean gain to the dry track within the Axe helps a lot. Did boost/pad not help?

I get hiss real bad too. I know that some people don't get the idea of using analog for re-amping, but being able to use any sample rate and not having to worry about master/slave issues is nice....if it works. I know that the 2nd set of outputs is unbalanced and was about 99% sure that this was part of my problem. Recording dry (using the AxeFXII as the source for wet and dry at the same time) I would get noise on the dry track. So I tried the balanced output.... I get noise from there as well. These are properly made cables and I've tried lifting the ground in both directions, even tried it with it connected. My problem as best as I can figure is that the dry track is in the -40dB range....my noisy piece of shit house creates enough noise that there just isn't enough SNR and it gets buried. My dry tracks are trash via analog regardless. I know that this is not the problem with your system, but you are using a DI with a hotter signal so it may be enough to overcome the problem on the dry take.

Going back to the AxeFXII via analog on the rear or front is just as bad for me. I even tried using a known good clean track (recorded via SPDIF) out to analog and it was noisy as well. I'm still looking at a -40dB signal though. I'm drowning it in noise.

If I use SPDIF for the dry recording and then back for the re-amp it is a non-issue, but that's to be expected since it's digital. It is absolutely glorious. You cannot hear a single bit of difference between original and re-amp. I've even reversed the phase between the two takes and got 100% cancellation. But I have to swap between master and slave clock for each wet/dry take. I'm also locked at 48kHz. If I could somehow get a house clock into the AxeFXII I would probably go ahead and just use 48kHz, but having to change between master and slave for my audio interface repeatedly in a project just drives me up the wall.

My problem is that I know that my house is the absolute worst RF/EMI/noisy shit hole on the planet. It comes and goes sometimes depending on the time of day. I bought a frickin big ass power conditioner and it did nothing to help at all. Not one single bit.

I just ordered a ton of ferrite beads about 10 minutes ago. I'm going to put them on everything in here and see if it does anything at all. I'll let you know how it goes if you are interested.

Shasha - It's great to finally hear fm someone who does it analog chime in as well. So it's not just me. I still don't know where the issue is. But I have a little time now to devote to it. I'd still be interested to know of those others who chimed in, who of them does it this way and what their experience is. Or any who haven't spoken up yet.

I have no major hiss issues using coming analog out of my interface into a Radial X-Amp and into the front of the Axe Fx. I've had consistent results with both my Gen 1 Standard and my II. I do find myself adjusting the volume of the DI track to taste since it determines how hard the Axe is being hit with the DI signal. Wish I could offer a solution. I hope this gets resolved for you.

Thanks. Why do you go into the Radial? I'm trying to see if I can avoid an extra step.

I have found a couple of stupid things I did. I recorded the dry track at +4 instead of -10 (unbalanced). So I did a test track at -10 and the signal was suddenly hot enough. I then matched the output DAW/ULN-8 at -10. This is basic stuff. This helped. It's not disappeared, but I'll have to see tomorrow whether its liveable. I'm going to bed now.

My guess is that he's using Radial to convert
- low impedance, line level and balanced signal from interface's analog out to
- high impedance, instrument level and unbalanced signal to axe's front input

imho that is the correct way to do it (when going to the front input).

Another imho equally good option, as mentioned, is to use the rear input:
- balanced line level signal from interface's analog out straight to axe's balanced line level rear input

Back
Top Bottom