Reamping I got hiss

Try flipping the ground/lift switch on your reamp box and see if this solves the issue. Also, see if any of your cables are touching the floor. Finally, turn off all audio and just keep your reamp chain plugged in with the gate off. If you're still getting hiss, it might just be your converters :-(

It definitely ain't the converters. I'm recording and mixing some classical music so it'll be a minute before I can
Get back to experimenting. Thanks.

This is still just terrible. I have very bad hiss. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I'm sending the dry track back through a Metric Halo ULN-8 analog output into the front panel input of the Axe Fx II. There's no hiss on the dry track. It was recorded coming from Output 2 of course. I've tried various cables thinking it might be the culprit. I've tried different settings, EQ, compression, etc. But even on the same exact preset it hisses and the original (playing through it or listening to the recorded track using the same preset) doesn't.

I'm doing this analog and no USB since I'm recording at 96k. This is a very high end converter/interface so it's not that.

No one else gets hiss? Any other ideas?

Routing:

Recording: Guitar to AXE FX II - output 2 1/4" to DI input oh ULN-8. Three tracks recorded - one stereo and one dry.

Reamp - Output from ULN-8 analog to front input of AXE FX II.

AXE FX II I/O settings - Main input Source - analog (in 1)
Input 1 Left Select Front
Output 1 Mode Stereo
Output 2 Mode L&R Sum

Is there anything else I'm supposed to do I'm not doing?

Are you using a reamp box to convert the signal back to a high impedance one? I used to have his too, after getting a cheap ART reamp box, it helped me a lot with the hiss. I recorded a comparison sometime back, will post it up when I'm back home. One thing to note is that the art seems to work with balanced cables so when I used a TS cable back to the front input of the axefx the signal is about 6db softer or so.

Unless you "modded" output 2, it has bad s/n ratio. Try recording the dry track from output 1 and compare hiss amount....

Better yet, add some 20+ dB to the dry signal within the Axe and reduce it by the same amount when sending it back.

It might be my settings in the preset. I tried some other factory presets that either have no hiss, or greatly reduced. But that doesn't really explain why preset X on the original stereo recording or playing it has no hiss and preset X reaped has hiss.

I'm assuming it's user error.

So... the ULN-8 doesn't have Spdif? Well damn son - that shit is just crazy (as it looks like the ULN-2 2d does). It does have AES though. I would suggest recording your dry signal AES and then reamping that analog into your back input 1 and back out analog and see if that helps your signal noise problem. Or have you already done this and I'm totally full of it?

Brutal. Is there a reason you are reamping into the front panel? I think I had troubles with noise when I did that. Have you tried the back panel input 1?

I agree. I re-amp to the rear input.

Also, I don't understand why you have OUT2 to SUM L+R.

I'd use STEREO and only record the left.

Are you using a reamp box to convert the signal back to a high impedance one?

Hm, is this necessary? Pardon me for going a bit OT, but when I reamp I just send my DI signal out of an extra output on my interface (motu 828mk2) via Reaper to the rear input of the Axe and that's it.

I agree. I re-amp to the rear input.

Also, I don't understand why you have OUT2 to SUM L+R.

I'd use STEREO and only record the left.

This, too, caused noise floor problems with me when I first started in on the reamping. The only time I'd ever "reamp" stereo is if I were sending a stereo file (let's say a synthesizer track) out to the Axe-fx for stereo effects without amps. If you're putting a stereo signal into an amp, it's summing it mono anyway.

I thought the rear I/Os were weaker or noisier. I'll try that. I did that once before with no change. I'll try it again.

I'll also try stereo/left. That seems counter intuitive to me, but that's why I'm asking!

Why are you recording out of the unbalanced output? Balanced, all things being equal, will be hotter and cleaner.

Also - does the impedance match the output of the ULN-8 to the input of the Fractal unit? Probably not - I use a Radial box for this (X-Amp?). You also mention that there's no hiss on the dry track, meaning that you are picking up the hiss on the outbound leg. Assuming you have access to one, try ULN-8 Out -> Matching Box -> Axe-FX-2. Also, use balanced cables wherever possible. I use +4db on all of my balanced connections as well.

I am here to tell you - analog reamping can/does work, and I do it with no perceivable noise.

Pete

I have done a lot of reamping. I've done it successfully before with the Axe. The last few times I've gotten hiss. I do have a reamp box. Its a DI, mic pre, EQ and reamp - Millennia TD-1. I don't want to pull it out. I should be able to get acceptable results AGAIN with just the Axe Fx II.

Back
Top Bottom