Reamping I got hiss

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I haven't reamped in awhile. Now something is wrong. I'm getting a lot of hiss.

I recorded the guitar, like I always of, with a clean DI. When I route it back, coming through an analog output to my interface to the AxeII. I'm just wondering whether I've forgotten something. I've tried coming back on the front panel as well as the back. Not much difference. Obviously I've traied different gain staging things. Cut the EQ. Tried different outputs.

I'm using Metric Halo ULN-8, at 96k, so there are a few variables.

Have u got any midi tracks in your project? When using cubase under windows and i have a midi track in there the default out of this is the ms wavebla thing. Changing this output to none solved the hiss problem.

But there are other things that can cause hiss .

I posted a similar thread a while back... reamping gives you you extra gain for some reason. haven't tried it in a while so I don't know if it still occurs since I've gotten a new computer.

Well I've never noticed it before, not anything like this. Yes, there seems to be an added gain somewhere.

No midi tracks. I'm using DP. I might have put a default midi track in the default. I'll go check later.

Thanks guys.

I also add a reamping interface to the signal chain. I use a Radial box (JDV I think) that goes from my interface out (which is +4db on a Fireface 800) to instrument level before entering the AXE.

Pete

And what are the project settings? I once had some hiss while reamping when for some reason the bitrate for a project was set to 16 instead of 24. I checked everything and the hiss disappeared when I changed the bitrate.

It's 24 bit, 96k.

I also have a dedicated reap box - Millennia Media TD-1. I'd like to keep it simple stupid. The hiss sounds like analog tape. I've put various EQ shelfs on, which just cuts the frequency overall. Not a good solution.

any compression going on anywhere?
or the input level of whatever you're jacking the guitar into in the first place very high?

I looked at that. There is some compression going on in the AXE preset I always use and used to record it. Not much different there. I even went back to the same EXACT preset I recorded it with. There's HISS in the reamp but none in the original track, if you understand what I'm saying.

IOW I recorded the song with X preset, including the dry clean signal. I changed amp in the AXE to a clean Double Reverb. Lowered the compression and delay, changed the EQ, shelving off the high end because it was pretty hissy. THEN I went back to my original preset of X, reamped, and it was the same hiss. But if I played back the original there was no hiss. ????

thought: try adding a real strong compressor to the dry in the DAW to see it it exposes any / much noise on the original recording
takes the Axe / reamping process out of the equation

if it's real clean, then it's either:
- something on the way to the Axe
- something in the preset
- something from the Axe back to the DAW

you could also try reamping all fx bypassed to rule out any processing you're doing in the preset

I get some hiss when I reamp
it's on the original recording and I think generated by my mixer

will be solving this soon [hopefully] when I get a better audio interface
to overcome it, I use automation in the DAW on the dry track to clean it up
although automation is more time consuming, I think the results are better than a gate
cos you can make the decisions as to how hard / when / where to drop / bring up the level and also determine that gradient / curve of the automation

The dry track is clean as a baby's butt. No static at all.

So it could be:

something from the Metric Halo ULN-8 to the Axe. I'm not thinking this is likely, but I do have other ULN-8s to test it against.
Something in the preset is possible, BUT remember I tried the original preset that had no hiss in it until I reamped it.
Something from the AXE back to the DAW. Most likely I'm thinking.

Hey Henry, I was reading a post by Cliff last night that talked about eliminating output hiss by the lowering Output Boost/Pad level in the I/O setup (Audio Tab)...might be worth a try?? :)

Cheers!

~Shawn

Hey mrstrat - Thanks for that. I'll try that. I tried it yesterday, but with validation form Cliff it's worth another shot.

I tried another ULN-8 interface with DI, and analog inputs. I just have this nagging feeling I'm forgetting something. There's something being left out of the equation. But no change so far.

ULN-8 #1 stereo inputs from ULN-8#1 output DI signal) = the same hiss
ULN-8 #2 stereo inputs from ULN-8#2 output DI signal) = the same hiss
ULN-8 #1 stereo inputs from ULN-8#2 output DI signal) = the same hiss
ULN-8 #2 stereo inputs from ULN-8#1 output DI signal) = the same hiss

So I know this has worked well before without hiss, so I THINK I can eliminate the ULN-8.

I do a lot of reamping for my mixes and I realized that I am getting hiss when I'm using analog outs from my saffire pro 40 into the rear axefx input.

However after switching to sending the dry tracks to the axefx via spdif, the signal is really super clean with no noise at all. But I'm still adamant to try to fix this as I have projects where I'll need to reamp through different analog drives and pedals.

I'm hoping it's not the audio interface outputs being hissy, that would really sick big time.

Honestly it was rather plug and play. I run my windows sounds at 48khz and my project files are always at 24/48khz. I'm using the spdif to record the dry tracks and to send it back into the axe. It's probably the cleanest way to get the dry DIs.

I can't speak to the Focusrite (usually of excellent quality), but I run DI and REAMP like this:

Recording Path:

Guitar -> Radial JDV DI -> Axe-FX II -> RME Fireface 800 ( channels 9/10) -> Computer

My reamp path is:

Computer -> RME Fireface 800 (channel 3) -> Radial X-AMP - Axe-FX II -> Fireface 800 (channels 9/10) -> Computer

Works flawlessly and noiselessly. I switch the input to the Axe-FX II depending if it's a RECORDING pass or a REAMP pass. I have never used the back inputs, and probably won't because I have a satisfactory solution here already. I guess the first question I would ask is are the levels of the Focusrite proper for the Axe-FX II? What about the impedance - is it low or high, and is that right for the inputs you're using?

Pete

Back
Top Bottom