Reamping - how to correct latency of reamped track?

ninja9

Inspired
Hi!

Doing some reamping via USB on my iMac using Reaper. What is the best way to get the reamped track back in sync with the song? There is latency, is there a way to avoid this?

I've never been able to calculate it accurately on a consistent basis. Its faster just to slide the clip into place.

For me it is. Because when you play back from the track it has to go to the hardware and return to disc. The DAW can usually do track compensation based on the computer side, but it has no idea of what the hardware is adding in terms of latency. I know that you can do track compensation in some DAW's and I think that Reaper has some stuff that is supposed to work with outboard gear (which re-amping basically is), but it's never been rock solid day to day or even take to take in some cases and it's a pain in the butt to calculate it only to have to nudge it anyway.

Now if anyone knows how to do it I'd be really stoked because I am kind of uptight about stuff like that, but even asking around on the Reaper forums we didn't come up with anything that worked consistently.

How much are you having to move the track over? Axe hardware latency is so low, I can't imagine it being more than a few ms.

Make sure that USB BUFFER SIZE on your AXE FX (not in computer drivers) is set to 64.
you can find it in "I/O - AUDIO"

Buffer size depends on the system. Macs often require higher settings. Use the USB buffer meter in the Utility menu to set the buffer. The meter should stay in the middle when audio is streaming to and from the Axe via USB.

Right, but even with USB buffer size on AXE FX set to 64, there is still slight latency that needs to be corrected isnt there?

Are you using the Axe as your soundcard?
When I reamp using my RME Multiface there's no latency.

Yes I'm using Axe FX as USB soundcard for easy (in theory) reamping. I have an apogee duet, not sure if that would help with a better reamping process? Would that allow me to monitor and reamp live in the mix somehow?

I did a test on my PC with Reaper. Reamped a test track through the Axe via USB. Picked I high CPU preset (89%) and bypassed all the blocks so the resulting reamp would be as close to the original as possible. I then zoomed in and measured the time difference between two identical peaks in the tracks and I got 12ms on my system. I did it again with a preset with all shunts and got basically the same. Not sure how this would compare on other systems, but the latency is there although very small. It should be simple enough to just include a loud string pop at the start of your track and then zoom in and use that peak to align the reamp to the original. Sort of like using a clapper board to align audio and video tracks.

I did a test on my PC with Reaper. Reamped a test track through the Axe via USB. Picked I high CPU preset (89%) and bypassed all the blocks so the resulting reamp would be as close to the original as possible. I then zoomed in and measured the time difference between two identical peaks in the tracks and I got 12ms on my system. I did it again with a preset with all shunts and got basically the same. Not sure how this would compare on other systems, but the latency is there although very small. It should be simple enough to just include a loud string pop at the start of your track and then zoom in and use that peak to align the reamp to the original. Sort of like using a clapper board to align audio and video tracks.

I kind of do the same thing, but instead of a loud string pop, I use a muted pluck on the high E string because it's tighter. And even a few ms makes it sound filtered or washed out so it does make a difference.

Hello, sorry for digging up this old thread, but i think i have a similiar isuee. 2019-09-18 14_26_33-Studio One - 2019-09-18 Nova Studio.png

1tracks is original processed track recorded by me
2track is DI
3track is DI reamped

As you can see there a small latency on the DI. How can I can fix it ?

Same here. You can manually align your 3rd track and count the ms. After that you can select all reamped items and move them by the same amount. I'd do this at the end of the reamping process.

Back
Top Bottom