Reamping help in Sonar (X3)

EricGlass

Inspired
Hey all.

Does anyone know of a tutorial for getting reamping working in Sonar? Or at least knows how to do it? I've tried for ages, I've watched every vid I can find but they are all for other DAWs, I've read the Wiki etc, it just won't work for me. I know my usb works fine. I've selected the AXEFXII in the audio devices section for both input and outputs, on the individual channels I've selected the FAS USB Audio AISO Drivers IN 1 & FAS USB Audio AISO Drivers IN 3 and FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1.

On the individual channels I have (for the 2 dry channels) inputs as Stereo FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver IN 3 and Outputs as FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1

For the other channels (wet) I have inputs as Stereo FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver IN 1 and Outputs as FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1

The I/O page Main Input Source is set to USB
The I/O Page USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE is set to OUTPUT 1
The I/O page SPDIF/AES Select is set to SPDIF
Sonar is set to 48 sample rate

That is all the relevant information I can think of

I get no sound while recording or playback on the dry channels.

Any help is appreciated! I've been at this off and on for months.

Eric

Hi Eric, I've done it once or twice, so it is indeed possible. :)

Are you saying you're not getting a clip of the dry recording when you do the live take? Or it is silent clip (and not just very low amplitude)?

When I do the live take:
I have two tracks. The wet track input is set to IN 1 (in SONAR). The dry track input is set to IN3 (in SONAR).
Axe Main Input Source is set to Analog (IN1)

When reamping:
I solo the dry track, set it's gain/fader to 0 (unity gain), make sure the dry track isn't muted. Set the dry track output in SONAR to "FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1".
Also, in SONAR, set one other armed track to the Axe "IN 1" to capture the reamp.
Set the Axe Main Input Source is set to USB

It sounds a lot like what you're doing, but this works for me. I hope that helps. I'm not using another interface (I know that tends to confuse things), so I only hear the reamped track come out of the Axe during the reamping.

Last edited:
Hey all.

Does anyone know of a tutorial for getting reamping working in Sonar? Or at least knows how to do it? I've tried for ages, I've watched every vid I can find but they are all for other DAWs, I've read the Wiki etc, it just won't work for me. I know my usb works fine. I've selected the AXEFXII in the audio devices section for both input and outputs, on the individual channels I've selected the FAS USB Audio AISO Drivers IN 1 & FAS USB Audio AISO Drivers IN 3 and FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1.

On the individual channels I have (for the 2 dry channels) inputs as Stereo FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver IN 3 and Outputs as FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1

For the other channels (wet) I have inputs as Stereo FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver IN 1 and Outputs as FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1

The I/O page Main Input Source is set to USB
The I/O Page USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE is set to OUTPUT 1
The I/O page SPDIF/AES Select is set to SPDIF
Sonar is set to 48 sample rate

That is all the relevant information I can think of

I get no sound while recording or playback on the dry channels.

Any help is appreciated! I've been at this off and on for months.

Eric

When recording the first take (ie record the dry track - you need to set AXe-FX I/O source to input 1 NOT usb) - it needs to record your guitar signal unprocessed. So set the I/O page Main Input Source is set to Input1. Then record Stereo FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver IN 3 to a track in Sonar. This should give a low volume audio track - if you cant see a waveform you haven't recorded a dry track.

When re-amping you select USB input on the Axe-fx (and send the dry track out to FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1)

I have written a few steps down - will type them in here tonight when get home.

Ok, heres my notes from when I set this up

1) Project settings
48k 24 bit

2) Record first tracks (original sound wet plus dry)
Create track 1 (Wet) - Record from "Stereo FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver IN 1"
Create track 2 (Dry) - Record from "Stereo FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver IN 3"
Don't set the outputs of those tracks to Axe FX or you can get a doubling effect.
On Axe Fx - I/O Page USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE is set to Output1 (this sets the axe USB output to mirror the main Output1 audio (which is usually the processed sound)
On Axe Fx - I/O Page set I/O page Main Input Source to Analog 1 (assuming you are using front input jack for guitar)
I have also set the Axe Fx USB Buffer (in I/O menu) to 64 bit - not sure what this effects
Record tracks - you should see both meters showing a signal (the dry track is much lower in volume)

3) Reamp track (this should only be done on the dry track (solo'd) else the whole tracks will get processed through the axe preset)
Set output of DAW dry track to "FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1"
Solo the DAW dry track (or you will put all the tracks through the axe preset and end up re-recording it)
On Axe Fx - I/O Page USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE is set to Output1
On Axe Fx - I/O Page set I/O page Main Input Source to USB
I don't think the I/O page SPDIF/AES Setting matters as you are using USB
Create track 3 (Reamped) - set input to "Stereo FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver IN 1"
Record from dry track onto re-amp track

4) Reset Axefx to usual input
On Axe Fx - I/O Page set I/O page Main Input Source to Analog 1 (assuming you are using front input jack for guitar)

that should work - if not I'll try to run through a quick recording later.

Back
Top Bottom