Reamping for an album: The unholy signal chain

Atte

Inspired
We were reamping the rhythm guitars for my band Liha's debut album yesterday and it was amazing. We play modern metal (but not any -core) and we found the most crushing sounds.

The signal chain we used was AX8 - Marshall Silver Jubilee fx loop return - Carlsbro 4x12 cab with '73 Celestion Greenbacks miced with SM545, 414, RB500 and some other mic.

In addition to that we captured the signal straight from the AX8 with IRs. On one side we used the FAS Modern III amp with an SM57 and M160 from ML Djent pack and on the other side the Splawn Nitrous 1 with the factory Orange cabs SM57 and Royer 121.

The tones were absolutely devastating.
Neither the miced signal nor the IR'd signal was good enough by themselves but together it was just magnificent once we got the phase right.

Last edited:
The FAS Modern stuff is phenomenal, and the Splawn is a criminally underrated heavy amp. Awesome to hear the AX8 works in that sort of hybrid format.

The FAS Modern stuff is phenomenal, and the Splawn is a criminally underrated heavy amp. Awesome to hear the AX8 works in that sort of hybrid format.
Absolutely agree. The FAS Modern was surgically accurate and tight while the Splawn was a bit loose on the low end and had some plexi-like squishiness that brings quite a bit of character in a high-gain context that hopefully shines through in the final mix.

Glad you were able to find a sound you love. I find that FAS gear is great for recording. You can get it dialed in to find the perfect guitar tone for a given song. Best of luck with your new album.

I'll try to get some raw files for you to listen! The release will most likely be in august so it's gonna be a while until we get the ready mix.

Here's the video for our first single of the album! The lyrics are in Finnish so I don't know if that sounds weird.

I think I kind of hear the fact that I had power amp modelling on in the mic'd signal, next time I'll probably go full IRs.

What do you guys think of the tone and the song?

We released the album today! So excited!
AX8 on guitars and bass (although bass probably has some DI mixed in as well)

Listening now, there's some super groovy riffs in there man. Sounds great!

We released the album today! So excited!
AX8 on guitars and bass (although bass probably has some DI mixed in as well)[/QUOTE]

sounds great! the guitar tones are great, which we all expect by now :) but the bass tones are also spectacular. I'm going to play this for everyone who says Fractal gear isn't good for bass.

sounds great! the guitar tones are great, which we all expect by now :) but the bass tones are also spectacular. I'm going to play this for everyone who says Fractal gear isn't good for bass.
For bass the AX8 is somewhat limited but it does sound phenomenal. Many bass players have been sculpting crushing tones with 2 amp signal chains in the Axe Fx II, but you can't do that on AX8.

We used the SVT for amp and split the signal into 2 B7Ks before the amp.

Back
Top Bottom