Reamping during playback

parlopower

Inspired
I have tried a search but did not find the answer to this specific question:

Is the following possible:
Use Axe Fx III as audio interface
Play back a Cubase project through the Axe Fx III unprocessed
Send one DI track from this Cubase project through the Axe Fx III processing and record the reamped sound while the mix is playing back

That way, it would be easier to adjust the reamping sound to fit the mix. Is that possible with a certain Input / Output block configuration of the Axe Fx III? (I know how to route the tracks in Cubase, that will not be a problem.) I was able to do this through the SPDIF in/out with the Axe Fx II when I still had my Steinberg UR28M that also had SPDIF i/o, but I sold that and now use an Apollo Twin exclusively for the vocals and the Axe Fx III for everything else, so I don't have that option anymore (Apollo Twin does not have digital in and out.) I don't want to run the reamping signal through an analog reamping loop, I think the multiple conversions and gain stages could degrade the signal.

Hope that was halfway understandable the way I tried to describe it...

You must be talking SPDIF. I am actually using the digital in (ADAT) on my Apollo Twin, partially as a clocking/sync source, and partially as a signal source. For the latter, I use it to monitor keyboards, etc.

Don't remember much about Cubase (I am a Logic user). Also, I'm pretty new to the III, but I have spent time with the II. Let's see if this works:

For the re-amping portion, it's pretty straightforward.

On your initial recording, play the part to be re-amped, and ensure that you are recording both from USB 1&2 (or 3&4 if needed) AS WELL AS USB tracks 5&6. The latter is the DI signal.

Upon playback, make sure the re-amping track is pointed to USB 5&6, and that you have changed the input source accordingly on the I/O AUDIO page (select input from USB 5&6).

Now to record this re-amped track, simply record a NEW track from USB 1&2 (processed output).

As far as playback of your mix goes, if I understand properly you can output it to USB 1&2 and it will appear at OUTPUT 1 on the III. If you are using the other output (OUTPUT 2), you can output to USB 3&4.

There's a great chart in the manual that helps me keep this straight. See page 19 - USB Inputs and outputs.

BTW - there's really no need to use SPDIF here that I can tell.

If you are on a Mac, you need to set up an aggregate device in your audio-midi setup.

this will allow you to route your reamp track outputs back into the Axe FX, and then hear both the Axe FX, AND everything else in your session, through the same output - mixed together.Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 10.12.10 PM.png

Page 21 of the manual describes one way.

Alternatively you can send the DI on USB channel 7 and add the USB In block to the preset. If you route USB IN - Input 1 - etc. you can bypass the Input 1 block to switch between normal playing and reamping. USB In could also go in the same column as Input 1, with both connected to the next block. In that case you should bypass the Input 1 block when reamping to avoid sending extra noise through the preset.

Yes this can be done , I've been using the axe fx this way.
In your DAW, you should see multiple outputs once the axe fx is connected. Route the DAW main outs to OUT 1L/R (from axe fx connect out 1 to your monitors).

Route only the DI track to USB IN (I think 6 or 7). Drop a USB IN block in your preset and you can adjust the tone real-time. I also punch in effects while the track is playing (like longer delay towards the end of a section etc.).

I have a studio one template where I've renamed all the in/outs to something easily recognizable instead of numbers. So easy for me to jump right in for every session.

Back
Top Bottom