Reamping adds major noise - what's wrong? [Solved]

I finished testing this morning

This file includes six sound bytes - DI track and then re-amp track for each of my three "DI's".

1) 18i8 Instrument in DI track
2) Previous DI track reamped through AX8
3) ISA one DI track
4) Previous DI track reamped through AX8
5) AX8 DI track
6) Previous DI track reamped through AX8

There are large chunks of silence between the sound bytes, but that is not real silence, you are hearing the actual noise level - Tape was still rolling, so to speak.

Except for level adjustments (LUFS level around -20 dBLUFS), absolutely no processing has been done in Reaper.

My Focusrite 18i8 only has main outs - so I had to use one of the mains to send to AX8 - That is actually not that bad, since my main out has an analog volume control, so I could adjust the volume going into AX8 in the analog realm. I had no problem getting sensible levels into AX8.

I apologize for the slightly bad (very bright) re-amp tone, but other than that, I have no reservations re-amping with AX8 like this. I will not be buying a re-amp box.

How is the noise level using an amp with more gain?

Anyone else doing any reamping with the AX8?

How is the noise level using an amp with more gain?

Anyone else doing any reamping with the AX8?

In my own experience, as long as you have a good DI the AX8 is great. Running it in through a high gain amp.....you'll get noise with any modeller. Your best bet in my opinion would be to run the AX8 into the return of the amp and slave the power section.

Of course you can experiment using both the amps in the AX8 with the high gain amp, but you're definitely looking for noise trouble unless you use the AX8 stuff in moderation.

I'd try the output of the AX8 into return on your amp head and see what it sounds like that way. It will be clean, yet as nasty as you want it to be.

I've never had any luck running processors in the input of my amps. A few sounded decent on the clean channel while using the processor of choice for a dirty sound....but I always was in the camp of "modelers and pre-amps through the return."

With something as great as the AX8 you should definitely try it as the main pre-amp through return for playing in real time as well as reamping. But you'll definitely pick up some noise going through the main in on your amp especially if you are using s high gain sound with pedals in the AX8. Try it though...there are no rules. :)

Back
Top Bottom