Reamped tone always sounds worse

If you guys are still not convinced I don't know what to say. Although I may add that I have a Radial X-amp reamp box and the the gain for reamping back the signal is never the same when using that analog reamp box. However, if you were to do it via the AxeFX USB to reamp or SPDIF. It is essentially identical.

You don't even need to reamp to test this. Just add a Looper block and record something into your DAW while simultaneously recording it in the Looper. Then record the Looper playback into a 2nd track, line both tracks up in your DAW and flip the phase on one of them. The outcome will be the same as your phase cancellation test.

well, i'm not into science, but it's good to know that I am not the only one hearing stuff then;)
Like what Jason has pointed out, you're hearing stuff. Honestly I'm quite surprised that both takes can even cancel out this well, which pretty much rules out either takes being "more compressed"

Apparently, Input trim was the thing that I had to adjust meticulously to get reamped signal very close to original. That's why it all was sounding too squishy or gainy..

Apparently, Input trim was the thing that I had to adjust meticulously to get reamped signal very close to original. That's why it all was sounding too squishy or gainy..
Yeah, if anything has changed from your original preset, it'll sound different. :)

My reamps sounds 100% identical here. Only difference is that the reamped tracks are slightly behind because of my system's latency, but not enough to be noticeable by ear, unless I use both. I don't even bother moving it forward to compensate

My reamps sounds 100% identical here. Only difference is that the reamped tracks are slightly behind because of my system's latency, but not enough to be noticeable by ear, unless I use both. I don't even bother moving it forward to compensate

You mean your input trim stays always default on 1 when reamping?

That is strange, why do I need to lower it down to like 0.45 to not get that pushed too much amp sound. Maybe it has something to do with usb return level or something. Your usb return set on 0?

You mean your input trim stays always default on 1 when reamping?

That is strange, why do I need to lower it down to like 0.45 to not get that pushed too much amp sound. Maybe it has something to do with usb return level or something. Your usb return set on 0?

USB return level doesn't affect reamping.

What's your input 1 mode set to? Needing to reamp w/ trim around 0.5 could indicate it's set to L+R or stereo instead of left only. If it's not that, it might be useful to post a video or some screenshots of your DAW project/track if possible.

What's your input 1 mode set to? Needing to reamp w/ trim around 0.5 could indicate it's set to L+R or stereo instead of left only. If it's not that, it might be useful to post a video or some screenshots of your DAW project/track if possible.
What @Bakerman said. You can only get identical reamping results if everything is set up the same. If you have to adjust Input Trim, then something else has been changed towards the front of your chain.

There is a 6 dB difference in level between input modes, and that corresponds to the difference between 0.5 and 1.0 on the Input Trim knob.

Thank you very much Bakerman that was it, you are right, my input 1 mode was set on stereo. And I did that for a reason, cause I like how it sounds - much nicer, more polished. I just tried it out and if you set input mode to left only the reamped track coming out exactly the same.

Anybody knows why on input mode set to stereo it sounds nicer?

Last edited:
Anybody knows why on input mode set to stereo it sounds nicer?

This reduces level by 6 dB at the first block that sums L & R input channels. You can get the same level reduction while using left only input mode by lowering the input/gate block's input level parameter. Or just adjust drive/amp blocks to sound good with the new higher input level.

Once I used USB to digitally reamp the Axe, reamping was effortless and indistinguishable from the original performance.

I never had success with analog reamping high-gain tones.

Yes!!
When I got my Axe-FX II [firmware 5.07] one of the first things I did was to compare analog reamping with the USB reamping.

USB reamping, for me at any rate, won hands down.

I run my Axe input in stereo full time, so i can switch between cord and wireless at will (let with cord, right with wireless. I compensate by shifting Global Amp Gain by 6 dB. One adjustment that i never have to touch again.

I've also experienced the same phenomenon as described by OP. That said, I do it via analog connections and I think the gain staging is different. The line level fed into the Axe for re-amping is lower. I stopped doing the USB thing because it forces to me to run 48k which I don't (due to it using more system resources for plugins etc.).

If I use SPDIF, do I have to run at 48k or can I do it at 44.1 or sample rates other than 48k?

If I use SPDIF, do I have to run at 48k or can I do it at 44.1 or sample rates other than 48k?

It will sync to 44.1k but won't be working quite as intended. (Rates, times, freq. response change as 48000 samples are still considered "1 second".)

I'm not sure how other DAW software is in this scenario, but it's pretty simple with Reaper. You can have a project with everything else at 44.1, switch the interface to 48 (or use Axe USB) for tracking guitar and/or reamping. The tracks not matching the current samplerate get resampled on the fly during playback.

Yea I wish the AF2 wasn't tied to 48, I have so many issues with my PC due to this. My projects in Cakewalk default to 48 but most everything else (mp3's, music streaming etc) want to play at 44.1 so I often have issues with songs playing slower and almost 1/2 step down.

I had a similar situation years ago... every re-amp attempt sounded like it was overdriven and noisier than the 'original take'. Turns out that in my DAW (Sonar) I didn't have all the sampling setup correctly. Once I changed everything to 24bit (I think there were 3 or 4 settings) it was as good as gold.

Back
Top Bottom