Reamped Guitars — Boxy.

APE

Inspired
Reamped guitars sound very bad. Very boxy, phased sound. I have no idea why.

I run SPDIF from Scarlett to Axe-Fx to Scarlett.

I panned DI tracks 6 & 7 hard L & R.

I reamped to track 8.

The result sounded really bad. It's like a boxy, phased sound. Why?

Attachments

• axefx face.png
    axefx face.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • logic face.png
    logic face.png
    603.8 KB · Views: 11
  • focusface.png
    focusface.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 10
Reamped guitars sound very bad. Very boxy, phased sound. I have no idea why.

I run SPDIF from Scarlett to Axe-Fx to Scarlett.

I panned DI tracks 6 & 7 hard L & R.

I reamped to track 8.

The result sounded really bad. It's like a boxy, phased sound. Why?
Are you monitoring the guitar through the Axe FX and through your DAW at the same time? Did you mute the DI track after reamping?

Am I monitoring the guitar through the Axe-Fx and through the DAW at the same time? No. I don't believe so, no, although I'm not entirely sure how I'd do that. Is it possible that I'm already doing it without knowing?

I noticed the levels on the DI are very low whereas on the Reamp track, they are fat. Does this matter? And if so, what do I do about it?

I noticed the levels on the DI are very low whereas on the Reamp track, they are fat. Does this matter? And if so, what do I do about it?
[/QUOTE]

Can't help with the "boxy" problem, though it's likely that you ARE inadvertently hearing both signals, combined. That would explain it.

But for the level question... that's what one would expect, and normal. The amp level you're trying to recorded is... well, AMPED. As in AMPLIFIED. A LOT. So, it will be a much hotter signal than the DI signal. You don't want to boost the DI track in the DAW, either... because then, when you re-amp, it will be much gain-ier than what you're looking for.

Last edited:
The dirty guitars sound boxy and phasey.

I'm looking for (1) a low gain sound for big Alex Lifeson chords and (2) some heavy Ozzy style riffing (Zakk, Jake, Randy).

The clean guitars came out good, but that's mostly because I played a Taylor in front of a Baby Bottle. We took that, then reamped the clangy DI guitars through a Krank. Sounds great.

But the DI levels seems to be off. When I record riffs, it's nearly flat. But the meter says the levels are too loud. We tried reamping that signal through a LoneStar, through the Krank. No matter what, it sounds terrible. Why? What should I investigate? What might I be doing wrong?

Here's the best sound we got reamping it. We are not using Axe-Fx.
The sounds from that were atrocious. Sounded much worse than a Metal Zone.

Back
Top Bottom