Reamp Noise

Sidecut

Hi:

Using Pro Tools 10, I'm busing a signal out of the 1/4" balanced line out of an MBox pro into the 1/4" balanced left Line input on the back of the Axefx II. I'm getting a lot of noise. Would this be the correct input for this or do I have to go Line out to a reamp box to the inst in? Any help would be appreciated. (Can't use the USB as the session is 88.2)

Tag

The input is balanced, or it can detect which is balance dorm unbalanced. Match them up. I use balanced for the back input. It helps, although it's still not gone. I do get some hiss. I don't know what's happened, but the last update seems to have helped a little too. I con't see how or why. Maybe my ears are adjusting to the hiss.

Obviously high gain amps will hiss. I record at 96k so this is an important issue for me. There is a mod for Axe Fx units. I'm not sure whether mine has had it or not. I think after a certain date IIs were made with the mod, so yours may have it already??

Thanks for the response Henry. I'm using a TRS cable. This isn't hiss it's a lot of noise that I can hear through the headphone jack on the Axefx also I have the Mark II

I exclusively reamp this way using a digi 002 in Pro Tools 10 and as of recently, I didn't get the hiss that I'm thinking you hear. I was actually worried in my recent reamping that the noise would show up but I think the difference was instead of using a balanced cable, I used a regular guitar cable 10ft? out of Pro Tools into the instrument in on my Standard. Before I think I had either used a stereo cable or balanced (I can't remember) and that may have been the cause of the noise (which I don't think really makes sense). If anything, try using a regular guitar cable and see if for some odd reason that'll work.

I think all my sessions are either 44.1 or 48 FWIW.

Thanks Sam. Normally I come Line out from whatever interface and then to a reamp box and into the Inst input at the front. This method from Line out to Line in should work but the noise is crazy. It isn't just hiss.

What kind of noise? Hum? Buzz? Is the cable ok? Is it TRS-TRS? If so, try disconnecting the shield on one end and try the cable in both directions.

Thanks guys. It was user error. The way the Mbox pro was configured in its mixer was creating a weird loop. Never used it before so didn't realize it. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom