Reamp for dummy

growen

Hello,

I found nothing on axe fx2 documentation about "reamping"
Could someone explain me the basics of reamping ?
- do we need a DAW compatible with axe reamping ?
- How to configure Axe Fx2 ?

Thank.

Hi,
You only need a DAW in which you can assign a specific output bus for a specific track, i don't know if every DAW handles that...

- 1st step : You'll have to record the DI signal from your guitar, and what's nice with AxeII is that it simplifies the task for you. Just be sure to record the Axe's USB outputs 3 & 4 (or just 3).
- 2nd step : Assign the record track an output bus, which will have to be Axe's USB inputs 1 & 2 (or just 1).
- 3rd step : Set the Axe's input to USB (I/O->audio->main input->USB)
- 4th step : Create another track in your DAW that will record Axe's USB outputs 1 & 2 (or just 1).
- 5th step : Play the first track and record the second at the same time.

You're done

Dont forget to reset the Axe's input to front input

Ok, Well,
Thank you for you clear answer ...

i think i have to start with the floor step .... what i use as a DAW is not compatible with reamping...
Which DAW are known to let reamping ?

Well, i use Cubase but Sonar or Protools or every serious DAW must do that, including the free Reaper i think...

i'm just about to purchase a DAW, i have planned to evaluate Presonus Studio One, and this will be taken in account.
Thank You (From Nantes ... 8))

Sorry growen i didnt see you were from our beloved France ;)
You can contact me in PM to speak french ;)

Otherwise, Presonus Studio One has a pretty good reputation... Maybe give a try to Reaper which is free before...

I have already tried reaper, but i really don't like it. I've tried to use it with Audacity as wave editor, but i found it was not well integrated ...
Thank's for the links i'll watch later at home ...
thank's all.

- 1st step : You'll have to record the DI signal from your guitar, and what's nice with AxeII is that it simplifies the task for you. Just be sure to record the Axe's USB outputs 3 & 4 (or just 3).
- 2nd step : Assign the record track an output bus, which will have to be Axe's USB inputs 1 & 2 (or just 1).
- 3rd step : Set the Axe's input to USB (I/O->audio->main input->USB)
- 4th step : Create another track in your DAW that will record Axe's USB outputs 1 & 2 (or just 1).
- 5th step : Play the first track and record the second at the same time.

You're done

Dont forget to reset the Axe's input to front input

Hello,
i've just completed my first reamped track on Presonus Studio One.
just one precision from above, is that the track being reamped must be muted to avoid that reamped signal to go into AXEFX in loop, that leads to larsen on the main output.
Thank you.

Hello,
another question about reamping ...
at that moment, i'm just able to reamp a track which dry associated track set to "SOLO", so during the reamp of the track, i cannot hear other tracks at the same time (this would be more productive, to hear the reamped track with all other tracks and decide if this reamped track should be recorded with that preset)
Is there a DAW that offers this capabilitie ?

i think this is not possible with Studio One. All tracks goes only to axe fx via only one output, so the only way i found to reamp a track, is to send only this track (SOLO or mute all others) and MUTE the reamped track to avoid loopback. But this way, i connot hear other tracks at the same time. So i have to find another DAW.

Useful piece of advice, an error I used to do sometimes by accident was that the DI of the guitar that was going into the the axe fx from the DAW was not at 0db giving weird results in the reamping, keep in mind that the master bus, and the level of the recorded DI must not be modified in order to get the "true response" of your performance

there is something i really don't understand...
Is it really possible, when connected to PC with USB, to hear the reamped track with all other tracks at the same time (without the need of record the reamped track alone before)
The point i do not understand is that when MAIN INPUT SOURCE is set to USB, ALL tracks are coming from PC to AXEFX2 for processing, without any possibility of filtering which track goes to AXE sound card, and which track will enter the grid for being processed/effected.
So i suppose, the DAW must deal with 2 audio drivers. AXEFX driver for reamp, and other driver as main output.
or may be a complicated solution with mixed usb and analog in/out, or using the loopfx output 2, ...

Do you have an example of DAW that do this ?

Unfortunately, no. If you are reamping completely through USB you can only hear the track that is being reamped. About as useful as boobs on a board, if you ask me.

The easier way to reamp is a combination method: use your Axe-II as your audio in, and use an interface as your audio out. This way once you've recorded your dry track via USB, you can send the dry track out through one of your balanced outputs on the interface into the rear input of the Axe, then send it back in through your axe-fx II via USB. The only thing you have to do is make sure only one dry track is being sent at a time and change your I/O setting to "rear" input. This works like a charm, and I've noticed no sound quality loss. It's the only way I've figured out how to reamp while listening to all tracks and I'm using Logic. I've tried Spdif, but my interface won't slave to the Axe-fx II under Spdif settings. It's a limitation of my hardware.

ok i understand well.
So the DAW must be able to configure for each dry track, an interface AXE FX2 as input and another interface as output, and logic do this ...

Back
Top Bottom