Really noob questions about IR's and the 10 cab user slots

shredi knight

Power User
I will be switching from using a SS power amp and traditional guitar cabs to FRFR studio monitors in just a few days (when UPS shows up :) ), and will be using the Axe FX's cab sims for the first time.

I have a couple of questions regarding user IR's and the 10 user slots in the cab block (and I apologize ahead of time if these questions are laughably boneheaded of me :lol: ):

-Are there any cabs loaded into the 10 user slots in the Axe FX that come with the firmware? I would think they would be blank and selecting them would sound the same as not using a cab at all, but when I scroll through them, the sound changes (like scrolling through cab sims), plus they are louder than the factory cabs. For some quick background - I'm the original owner of my Axe FX (in fact, I had an Axe FX before the ability to load user IR's was added to the features) and I've never loaded cab IR's into it. Why does it sound like there are cabs loaded in the slots already?

-(This could answer the question above, though I doubt it) What happens if I download a preset from Axechange that uses a custom user IR that I don't already have loaded in my Axe FX? Does it load into one of the 10 user locations, just not show up, or something else?

Thanks.

shredi knight said:
-Are there any cabs loaded into the 10 user slots in the Axe FX that come with the firmware?
No.

when I scroll through them, the sound changes (like scrolling through cab sims),
The contents of that portion of memory were probably random after manufacture, and uploading firmware has no effect on those locations. Unless you upload something, there really is nothing of interest there.

What happens if I download a preset from Axechange that uses a custom user IR that I don't already have loaded in my Axe FX? Does it load into one of the 10 user locations,
No. You have to upload user IRs as a separate process. They are not contained in preset .syx files.

Jay Mitchell said:
[quote="shredi knight":3kkmn9bb]

What happens if I download a preset from Axechange that uses a custom user IR that I don't already have loaded in my Axe FX? Does it load into one of the 10 user locations,
No. You have to upload user IRs as a separate process. They are not contained in preset .syx files.[/quote:3kkmn9bb]

Thanks Jay.

So what happens if say I upload a patch to Axechange that has a user IR in the cab block? Does it just default to one of the factory cab sims, or does the cab block just turn into a shunt, or what?

shredi knight said:
[quote="Jay Mitchell":yf6s20dj][quote="shredi knight":yf6s20dj]

No. You have to upload user IRs as a separate process. They are not contained in preset .syx files.[/quote:yf6s20dj]

Thanks Jay.

So what happens if say I upload a patch to Axechange that has a user IR in the cab block? Does it just default to one of the factory cab sims, or does the cab block just turn into a shunt, or what?[/quote:yf6s20dj]

No and No. if you use for example User1 CAB, it will stay on that place and you will hear the sound of User1 CAB, whatever that is.

voes said:
No and No. if you use for example User1 CAB, it will stay on that place and you will hear the sound of User1 CAB, whatever that is.

So what you are saying is, if a person downloads a patch off of Axechange that has a user IR (we'll say in User1 CAB) ,that the cab will be what ever that person happens to have loaded in that position (User1 CAB) on their Axe FX, not what the person who created the patch has in that position, correct?

Correct !

You have to be observant of what is going on when you dl a patch, and make sure to note which IR's are used and proper placement odf the IR in the user cab slots.

I find it to be a semi-pain to use custom IR's because I end up forgetting which one I used, unless I can code it into the preset name somehow.

I have asked for a comments box on the editor to keep such info, but I am not sure it is do-able.

Yep. I have one at User 4 that I can't remember where it came from. I don't have the time or stamina to go through all impulses to find it, either... Major PITA. :evil:

Clawfinger said:
Yep. I have one at User 4 that I can't remember where it came from. I don't have the time or stamina to go through all impulses to find it, either... Major PITA. :evil:

I loaded up the 10 user slots last night with IR's (mostly all 4x12's), half from Axechange's top downloads & half from your IR's page - Top downloaded Mesa, Engl, Bogner, Marshall.... I figured I'd start with some of the most popular ones and see what I like, replace the ones I don't, then try some more until I have a good collection of cabs that work for me. After I loaded the 10 slots, I printed out a sheet with a list of the cab names and slot locations, plus saved a copy on my computer so I can edit it and reprint it whenever I change any of the cabs. Hopefully if I keep up on it, I will always be sure what cab IR's I have loaded where.

Clawfinger said:
Take the impulse response of your Axe with that cab sim selected :D

schnarf said:
Clawfinger said:
Take the impulse response of your Axe with that cab sim selected :D

Haha nice idea!

Back
Top Bottom