Really need help identifying trouble frequency

Very basic preset. I would place any kind of reverb in the chain, that way you hear changes better and let it sound more natural with the headphone. Delay is also a way.

When you want more dynamics and a less boxy tone with more open bite, than crank up master and lower gain. At master 9 you might need the gain at 1 or less. The sweet spot might be somewhere in the middle.
With higher master the advanced controls that mostly are not for the preamp but for the poweramp section get more impact. I would then start to play with higher settings of damping. When you increase damping the presence control gets more influence.
(I know, that cranking up master is not what the wiki and some threads recommend for modern amps...but when the controls of the preamp are not enough, that's the way to get more control over the sound).

I know it sounds strange, but is there any way that a "global wah" with a constant frequency could somehow be hiding in my patches and not showing up in the grid?? Because that's kinda what it feels like. And I just remembered that several months ago when I was experimenting with wah blocks, I noticed that when I bypassed a wah block, it was still active. I had to shunt it in order to get rid of the effect.

That sounds very unlikely...

Did you try to lowering the damping parameter by the way? I found that to help a lot on the SLO model.

Jens

This sounds like a job for the MBC. You need some gain reduction on the low end (<200). Use a PEQ to find that woob woob frequency, then use the first band in the MBC before the amp to reduce the gain on those frequencies. Fairly quick attack, long release. It should help tame the low end without cutting it like an EQ would.

I guess i should've asked if you had an Ultra or a Standard. The MBC is a multi-band compressor in the ultra.

Can you record a bypassed version that we can download and then include your patch? I'll re-amp your original signal through your own patch on my Axe Fx and see if I can tame it. Then I'll post the results and if you like it, I'll give you the patch.

Bypassed version as in bypassing everything and just record the clean guitar part? I've never done any re-amping so I'm completely blank on how it works. Very kind of you to offer!

Make the first block in your patch an FXL block. This will send a clean, un-processed version of your playing to output 2. Record that signal, but play like you would normally play (so monitor output 1). This way I can run that bypassed signal into my axe and it'll be like you're playing into my axe fx when I re-amp it. A simple demo like you did with the palm muting and the 3 different cabs would be fine. I just need a little sample of your playing and your patch.

Ok I have no idea what's happening now. Sat down to record the bypassed version and when I turned on the Axe-Fx I immediately noticed a huge difference. The notes suddenly sound so thin and shrill. Take a listen:

Listen to the noise at the very end, I'm just turning the volume knob on my guitar...

edit: I played this through the unmodified stock preset #001, Studio Lead.

Deoxit is a good cleaner for pots- dont get it on you finish
or you can try turning the knob from end to end about 100 times see it it doesnt wok it's way out

This is definitely not an Axe FX issue. This is absolutely something to do with your pickups or wiring. You definitely have a dirty pot, which is the scratchiness you hear. Find exactly where it scratches and go back and forth over that quite a few times and see if it moves. If it moves, turn your knob all the way off, then all the way on several hundred times. It'll move the dirt out to the sides where you'll never hear it. If it doesn't move, you'll need to actually clean it.

While scratchy pots are not a huge issue, what disturbs me is the massive tone shift. I wonder if your tone pot is messed up and previously was cutting the high end off your tone causing you to over-compensate with EQ. Turn your tone knob all the way down and see if it sounds like it used to.

Back
Top Bottom