Really learning What The Amp Controls Do!

markmusicman

Experienced
I know many users of the Axe don't care about all the controls and then there are those like myself who need to know what everything does. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in here before but I thought I would share my day. Basically I went through the following Wiki page and tried to get a grasp on what all the controls within the amp block do. I thought I would post the link here for those who would like to also study up on it. You may find something within this page that helps in reaching the long desired guitar tone that we all strive to achieve. It took me quite a few hours to go through all this info and I took notes on the stuff I felt was something I wanted to test and hone in on my own tone. For those that are interested I hope this page helps you with your tone quest.

AMP (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Well I see my post got some views but no comments, just wondering how many other users are really familiar with all the amp controls and how they affect the tone. I know some guys just like the good old fashion Bass Mid Treble gain and master. Well I hope my post at least got some users interested in digging into the fine details of what the amp block can do.

Well I see my post got some views but no comments, just wondering how many other users are really familiar with all the amp controls and how they affect the tone. I know some guys just like the good old fashion Bass Mid Treble gain and master. Well I hope my post at least got some users interested in digging into the fine details of what the amp block can do.

Ahhh Mr. Kotter, are saying there's gonna be like a quiz or something...?

I pretty much stick to the good old fashion Bass Mid Treble gain and master. I tried messing with some of the other parameters, but not sure I have any business being in there... if it sounds good, why mess with it? That's my thought (IMHO).

Ahhh Mr. Kotter, are saying there's gonna be like a quiz or something...?

I pretty much stick to the good old fashion Bass Mid Treble gain and master. I tried messing with some of the other parameters, but not sure I have any business being in there... if it sounds good, why mess with it? That's my thought (IMHO).
I hear you, I am one of those tech type computer guys who has to know what every control does even if I never touch it. But I think what ever works for you is the best way to go. The axe definitely sounds good just messing with the regular tone controls. I am just trying to learn everything I can about it I love technology.

I hear you, I am one of those tech type computer guys who has to know what every control does even if I never touch it. But I think what ever works for you is the best way to go. The axe definitely sounds good just messing with the regular tone controls. I am just trying to learn everything I can about it I love technology.

You do bring up a good point, and being I don't use a standard conventional setup it probably merits some more experimental tweaking.

However, it does sound pretty bad-ass with just tweaking the top level controls.

I would like to know more about the "advanced" controls and how they interact with each other. Or get better real world examples of what controls do what. Like if you were to have your tube amp biased to be "hotter" you'd adjust these parameters etc. The explanation of the controls are excellent but maybe just a tad too clinical for someone like me.

okey for you, different for others. That's why these parameters were there. You can use them, learn to use them to make your own tone, you're free to do what was impossible for many - you can modify, try out these mods in realtime.
Beside that - learning to understand the tools was never a bad thing. The AxeFx layout is a bit more in-depth advanced stuff than a normal GBMTV-Amp....;)

Great topic. Everyone interested in learning more should also check out the new Cliff's Notes section of the forum.

I'm basically creating a new preset and after reviewing the amp block wiki I am going to adjust various controls using my ear to guide me. I really love having these in depth controls. Also I did notice the thread Cliff started that is exactly what I am looking to learn for myself for all the controls. Axe FX is so awesome, as a musician I enjoy learning all I can about everything involved. I've been at this for 46 years and I am an electronics type guy to begin with. My one downfall yet possible advantage is I have been using the preamp/effects FRFR model since the 80s before that I used Fender Deluxe reverbs cranked up but in order to get a great sound at lower volumes I switched models. I believe the first thing I did to change from the cranked amp was get an mxr distortion plus unit. After that I switched to preamps with amps and speakers

Some of the information in the wiki should be removed/corrected due to inaccuracy.

Most tube amps have very high output impedance and, as such, the impedance of the speaker highly influences the response. Negative feedback reduces this some but it can still significant. Many guitar amps have no negative feedback. Triode power amps (or tetrodes/pentodes connected in triode mode) exhibit much lower impedance but these are rare in guitar amps.

The slope of the plate curves is the output impedance (admittance actually, delta I / delta V). Tetrodes and Pentodes have an almost flat slope and therefore the impedance is very high (admittance is near zero).

Some of the information in the wiki should be removed/corrected due to inaccuracy.

Most tube amps have very high output impedance and, as such, the impedance of the speaker highly influences the response. Negative feedback reduces this some but it can still significant. Many guitar amps have no negative feedback. Triode power amps (or tetrodes/pentodes connected in triode mode) exhibit much lower impedance but these are rare in guitar amps.

The slope of the plate curves is the output impedance (admittance actually, delta I / delta V). Tetrodes and Pentodes have an almost flat slope and therefore the impedance is very high (admittance is near zero).

Thank you very much for this info, I actually have a degree in electronics but it has been so long since I have used the information its lost deep in the subconscious somewhere. As far as the Wiki goes maybe you could fix it up since you are definitely qualified, I am not sure how that Wiki gets updated but yes I agree it would be nice to have it very accurate since I am using it as a guide along with my ears.

Back
Top Bottom