Really At A Loss With v7

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
v7 is just not working for me. I'm not trolling or complaining - just writing to see if anyone's had similar issues and found a fix I've overlooked.

v6 really gelled with me - I expect I'll go back to it (again) and continue to be delighted. Just select an amp, cut the pre-bass, boost the post-bass and instant tone!

I like strong, rich mids and detest furry bass and fuzzy highs - Joe Bonamassa's tone is pretty close to my ideal (talent as well, but that's another thread).

Anyway, my efforts to get these sorts of tones from v7 aren't doing it for me - anyone else experienced the same? One thng for sure: v6 and v7 are very different, so I guess it's to be expected that some will like the change and some not.

cheers all

I did find 6.0, 6.2 and 7.0 different... but not in a huge way...
7 seems to have gentler hi's

to my mind, the bigger tonal difference was 6.0 to 6.2
6.0 had very aggressive hi's, and 6.2 calmed them down
7.0 added a coat of polish..

I'm mostly a hi-gainer so 6.2 was great for me, and 7.0 just got better..

I do recall Cliff mentioning an amp parm that you can tweak that'll take the Axe back to [closer to] 6.0
I really can't recall what one it is though...
if someone can recall what one it is, maybe this could be the missing link to unlock your tones

I do recall Cliff mentioning an amp parm that you can tweak that'll take the Axe back to [closer to] 6.0
if someone can recall what one it is, maybe this could be the missing link to unlock your tones

There was this one but it was just dealing with sustain.

To get 6.xx sustain, etc. turn MV up, Supply Sag down, Dyamics at 0%, Pre-amp Comp at 0%.

FWIW I find I get more sustain in 7.00.

I'd like to know that too. The Cameron in V7 isnt quite to my taste and it was one of my favorites in V6.2

I guess that's it. Some of my faves in 6 (Brit 800, Vox AC30TB) just sound so different now, they're no longer faves. Maybe the answer is in different amps.

my only real prob with 7 is the uberschall has changed again.. 6 i had some gnarly tones dialed in on it, now I have to tweak every param known to man to try to get it to not be a flubby mess, eventually gave up on it. a lot of other amps are now better in my ears... guess there is some give and take.

Cobbler - I don't think it was sag, iirc, it was a parm that affected the highs.. can't recall which parm, but essentially, if you wanted 6.2 to sound like 6.0, you had to move it from 1.0 [default value] to something like 0.9 for example.. it just needed backing off a touch...

GM - that's a surprise cos I really like the JCM800 in 7.0
it seems to have bigger spudz
have you tried backing off the XFRMR match a little to open it up
and maybe you can try to get the mids and highs from the EQ page rather than the tone stack [so they're not so fried]

This is driving me crazy! I swear I recall seeing this too and for the life of me I cant remember what it was. Its funny I can picture myself playing around with that feature just for fun. Man I have turned so many virtual nobs over the last 2 weeks its making my head spin.

There was this thing about MV and sag, referring to sustain.

And there was this about slightly raising/reducing Transformer Match (1.0 at default), to move between 6.0 and 6.02

Yek.. that's not the thread I'm thinking of... the one I'm thinking of is a fair bit older...
shortly after the release of 6.2

when 6.0 came out it upset all the hi-gainers but the crunchers loved it
when 6.2 came out, the hi-gainers loved it but the crunchers got upset...

Cliff really was in a bit of a no win situation..
he responded by saying that "parm X is now defaulted to 1.0. To get the tone of 6.0, set it back to <value>"

then everyone was happy...
I just can't recall what the parm was..
I think it's all about controlling how aggressive the highs are [if I remember this correctly]

what I'm wondering is.... if GM fiddles with this parm, he may be able to dial some of 7.0's polish out and get closer to the bite he's looking for..
prob is... I can't remember the parm...
which means that right now I'm being about as useful as a wheel on a walkingstick

Found it

extract of something Cliff said:
The ONLY difference between 6.00 and 6.01 is the slightly lower default Transformer Match and a slightly lower Triode Hardness value. Reducing Triode Hardness vs. 6.00 gave better harmonic matching.

so... GM.. maybe try having a play with the above a little..
I'm not saying that this is the solution, but it's worth a try yes??

There was a thread today as well where Adam said that the dynamics level isn't always resetting correctly. Sometimes it resets to 100% ?? Haven't seen this myself, but wouldn't hurt to check and make sure your dynamics isn't dimed.

There was a thread today as well where Adam said that the dynamics level isn't always resetting correctly. Sometimes it resets to 100% ?? Haven't seen this myself, but wouldn't hurt to check and make sure your dynamics isn't dimed.

Oh yeah in Axe edit, many of my 6.2 patches were opening in 7 at a Dynamics setting of -100. Cliff also mentioned that the default setting for dynamics should be 0 in 7. Not -100.

GT800FX into Atomic actives (used passively)

I can only judge by the presets mostly and that has seemed a huge loss for me.

In the prev fw, I didn't know what to play first of the first 50 presets.
In 7, most seem to have lost their sound or instant magic/readiness w my gear & hands (while other magic was surely added!).
That makes it one of those firmwares (and possibly here to stay) for me that you're always tending to want to tweak to get back to what you once heard, or you just wait for the next one.

I will stay with it and learn to tweak more though. I've long missed too much feelwise to now go back. The current deal is not too bad ;)

My "huge losses" have been:
fw 3: a few dozen presets that really gelled with me (esp. a small handful really organic presets)
fw 5: a whole lot of the smilefan presets
fw 6.02: lots of instant drooling in the 50 first ones alone, needing none or just small tweaks

No dig at anyone though. Just the ups and "downs" of the ride :)

The feel is getting better, which is all I really care about. In 5 the guitar didn't respond at all like I was used too with my tube amps, 6 and now 7 have really impressed me with the feel. The next thing Cliff needs to figure out is how to get all the overtones, but at least the core is there. It's all you need to be able to suspend disbelief with a pair of headphones.

wow.. I'm not getting this... and I've just been reamping quite a wide variety of tones [my own rather than factories]

metal riffing - 5153Blue, VH4ch3, 5153Red
funk clean - Hiwatt Normal
funky grit - JCM800 [seriously.. lol..]
classic rock crunch - JCM800, AHD100, Herbert ch2-, 5153Green
metal lead - 5153Red, Herbert ch3
fusion lead - 5153Red

and it's all sounding killer

I skipped V6 all together, at the time it came out I was doing on average 5 gigs a week and simply did not have the time to tweak. V7 as its to me has its pluses and has its minuses. Now keep in mind I dialed my 5.07 presets over 2 weeks, and they are gig tested as well so I am trying to recreate those sounds. I have found that the amps and cab combinations that worked in 5.07 dont work for me in V7.0

For example I had a perfect plexi tone dialed in in 5.07, now to get a similar tone i have to use a Boutique amp model (matchless)...who would have figured?

I do like how the presets sound really FORWARD and in your face, also the feel is better especially when rolling of the volume knob.

So I guess we will just all have learn to work on V7 or go back to what we are comfortable on.

I do wish there was a way to choose what firmware I wanted to use PER PRESET :)))

P.S.
I am using Yamaha NS10m for monitoring.

P.S.S.

Since V6 I HATE the tuner!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom