Realistic tones with Cab block Low and High Cut

Tpj1333

Inspired
The most realistic tones I’ve ever got out of the axe fx come from setting any amp block just how the real amp would be set
And then turning the cab block low and high cut the low to 75 and the high cut turned down to sound realistic usually about 3300hz but on some models 4400
And sometimes as low as 1300hz
I use my irs I made from my carvin legacy 2x12 with v 30s
My irs sound better then any of the factory ones
I feel like a good formula for good tones is to dial in the basic controls to your liking and then use the cab block high cut to get down to a realistic high end
And then use supply sag to get that good amp feel

Those are awfully low values but if they sound good to you, go with it.
Always remember that normally your not facing a cabinet head on, your off axis and obviously monitor speakers (if that’s what you using) are normally firing right at you.

Those are awfully low values but if they sound good to you, go with it.
Always remember that normally your not facing a cabinet head on, your off axis and obviously monitor speakers (if that’s what you using) are normally firing right at you.
But arnt 20k and 10000k kinda over what a cab produces

Yes it is, but a 5k area is pretty close to many cabs.
I’m able to ab my amp and cab and my amp and ir with the line out on my amp that’s basically the amp with no cab
When I ran them at the same time I rolled off the high cut to match my amp perfectly that’s why the value is low comparable to others

I’m able to ab my amp and cab and my amp and ir with the line out on my amp that’s basically the amp with no cab
When I ran them at the same time I rolled off the high cut to match my amp perfectly that’s why the value is low comparable to others

Mind if I ask what amp that was? A Carvin?

The most realistic tones I’ve ever got out of the axe fx come from setting any amp block just how the real amp would be set
And then turning the cab block low and high cut the low to 75 and the high cut turned down to sound realistic usually about 3300hz but on some models 4400
And sometimes as low as 1300hz
I use my irs I made from my carvin legacy 2x12 with v 30s
My irs sound better then any of the factory ones
I feel like a good formula for good tones is to dial in the basic controls to your liking and then use the cab block high cut to get down to a realistic high end
And then use supply sag to get that good amp feel
Does it translate well to FOH?

I've made a few presets with a blend of two cabs.one of them with high cut around 1300hz or so and the other with high cut on 10000hz with fantastic results.

Most guitar speakers have a response from about 75hz-5khz. Very generally speaking, of course, all sorts of other factors to consider and that doesn’t mean there’s no valuable information beyond that range either.

A big part of the way we’re used to hearing guitars recorded versus in-the-room is the way close mics capture more detail in the lows and highs than our ears hear when several feet away and off-axis.

I personally tend to use a low cut and high cut of 150hz and 8khz respectively for recording, and bring the high cut down to 5-6khz for live use.

Personal preference is a big factor, of course, and so is volume level and listening environment. That said, 3-4khz is pretty extreme, and 1300hz is so low that you’re cutting off much of the midrange along with the highs.

Most guitar speakers have a response from about 75hz-5khz. Very generally speaking, of course, all sorts of other factors to consider and that doesn’t mean there’s no valuable information beyond that range either.

A big part of the way we’re used to hearing guitars recorded versus in-the-room is the way close mics capture more detail in the lows and highs than our ears hear when several feet away and off-axis.

I personally tend to use a low cut and high cut of 150hz and 8khz respectively for recording, and bring the high cut down to 5-6khz for live use.

Personal preference is a big factor, of course, and so is volume level and listening environment. That said, 3-4khz is pretty extreme, and 1300hz is so low that you’re cutting off much of the midrange along with the highs.
But when I do it it doesn’t sound like I’m losing anything it sounds like a more authentic real world amp tone

I posted my carvin legacy cab ir on axe change under tpj33 check it out and let me know what you think
I also posted a really good vintage style preset for single coil teles

But when I do it it doesn’t sound like I’m losing anything it sounds like a more authentic real world amp tone

“More authentic” compared to what, a mic’d recorded amp tone or an in-the-room un-mic’d amp? The Fractal is designed to produce the sound of the former, not the latter.

If it works, all the power to you. But it’s neither standard practice nor typically necessary to cut so much high end, let alone cutting into the presence and upper midrange frequencies.

The right IR is the biggest part of the equation IMO. In regards to selection, I tend to use aftermarket IRs myself but there’s definitely plenty of good ones in the factory slots, quite a few members of this forum get phenomenal tones with stock cabs.

Out of curiosity, what are you monitoring with?

“More authentic” compared to what, a mic’d recorded amp tone or an in-the-room un-mic’d amp? The Fractal is designed to produce the sound of the former, not the latter.

If it works, all the power to you. But it’s neither standard practice nor typically necessary to cut so much high end, let alone cutting into the presence and upper midrange frequencies.

The right IR is the biggest part of the equation IMO. In regards to selection, I tend to use aftermarket IRs myself but there’s definitely plenty of good ones in the factory slots, quite a few members of this forum get phenomenal tones with stock cabs.

Out of curiosity, what are you monitoring with?
There’s no standard practice with new digital gear all I know is it sounds good and loses nothing it still has the presence and allows you to dial in tones like on a Marshall 1959 plexi jump you can set the presence to 9 and treble to 9 bass at 2 and mids at 3 and it sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin live
Check out my preset if you have a tele and let me know how it sounds I use a qsc cp 12

Remember the Hi and Low cuts in the cab block are not a hard cutoff. There is a slope to the high and low pass taking place so not everything outside those points is cut off. While those may seem extreme to some, I've had to go pretty far on those controls depending on the PA, FOH guy and/or the room. Either way, those controls are very effective in tailoring your overall sound.

Back
Top Bottom