Realistic Leslie Block

I would love to have it switch through brake on its way to either speed, since the 3-position switch on the Leslie control goes Chorale - Brake - Vibrato, IIRC.

Too bad there isn't a 'Reverse' option in the wrap selector of the channel increment/decrement switch, so instead of wrapping from C to A or A to C when reaching a wrap point, it would reverse from C to B or A to B....

I suppose a controller could be adjusted to switch it if a bit of careful thought was given to the curve....
Set channels B and D for brake?

Set channels B and D for brake?
I tried it but ended up going back to what I’m using.

A lot of times I don’t want to brake (C), I just want to be on slow (A) or fast (B). If the rotary is already spinning fast then it sounds natural stepping through brake to get to slow because it gradually slows to brake anyway; it’s still spinning faster than the slow setting by the time I’ve accomplished two holds and landed on A again. Having a brake between slow and fast results in it almost stopping then accelerating to fast and I didn’t like that.

I know the real switch has brake in the middle, but they don’t have to do a hold to go from position to position. Using a separate switch to tap let me change channels quickly but I hated giving up a switch on the FC6 and reverted. I do have a dedicated “solo” switch in my Effects layout and I could add an external switch to my board like you have and assign solo it it, but I wanted the ring indicator showing the boost was on.

Last edited:
I've never had a lot of use for Brake in a situation where you could bypass the whole thing. Lo-fi bandpass.
They’re different sounds. Brake is still routing through the horn and drum so it’s not as full range as bypass is. Plus if the drive setting is high to get breakup and you brake you still get the overdrive, which would disappear if you bypass the block.

That Ventilator pedal had some really nice sounds. The detail in the mids and treble nearly matched the real Leslie, even when piped through a guitar speaker afterwards. The Lex wasn't far off, either, though, and would probably sound better than the Ventilator if running through a FRFR setup. Either would be a good choice for a pedalboard, I think. The Lester had a great-sounding drive in it, that really captured the Jon Lord "driven balls-out" cathode-biased 6550s in heat Leslie sound. If you could get that drive in a pedal, I'd buy it. :)
I’ve had a Lex on my analog board for years. It’s a wonderful sounding pedal, especially if running stereo out. If I were to run an effects loop with my Fractals the Lex would be part of it.

They’re different sounds. Brake is still routing through the horn and drum so it’s not as full range as bypass is. Plus if the drive setting is high to get breakup and you brake you still get the overdrive, which would disappear if you bypass the block.
Yes, hence my "Lo-fi bandpass" comment ;)

This post should go in the check the cable thread, but I just spent the last 5 minutes wondering why what you posted wouldn't work for me before I realized I was on the wrong layout. Doh!

Back
Top Bottom