Realistic Leslie Block

Dunconia

Inspired
I’d like to create a Leslie block similar to the real Leslie cab in this clip:

What do the pedal buttons do? I know one is the speed. What’s the other? What’s the best way to recreate using an FC-6 for control?

Some handy info:
http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/LeslieRotationSpeed

I use .803Hz and 6.801Hz on mine for chorale and vibrato, and use Controller #1 to swap speeds. The key to the speed change is to get the time constants for top and bottom rotor set right. Then you get that magical warble when it's speeding up or slowing down....

Here's my block: 147 Rotary
It's set up so you can use a Modifier on the speed, or, switch that off and use the Channel switch instead.

Last edited:
That Ventilator pedal had some really nice sounds. The detail in the mids and treble nearly matched the real Leslie, even when piped through a guitar speaker afterwards. The Lex wasn't far off, either, though, and would probably sound better than the Ventilator if running through a FRFR setup. Either would be a good choice for a pedalboard, I think. The Lester had a great-sounding drive in it, that really captured the Jon Lord "driven balls-out" cathode-biased 6550s in heat Leslie sound. If you could get that drive in a pedal, I'd buy it. :)

The beautiful thing to me is when he plays those magical notes from Shine on You Crazy Diamond. The way the drum is slowing down... That’s what I’m not hearing as much from the pedals.

IDK if this helps you....their real one sounds better than my FM3 version. But, it's also a real leslie and they're pretty good at recording guitar sounds.

But, what I did was to have the Rotary block in parallel with my amp & cab with the rotary set to Mute Out bypass version. A control switch un-bypasses it and takes a couple dB off the dry signal with a filter block. The Rotary output is split between going into my wet-side (just kill-dry delay) and the dry out. So, you hit the switch and it adds a virtual leslie and makes a little room for it. Hold the same switch and a different control switch will change to the slow speed over a second or so and then turn it back to the high speed when you release it. I think the only other things I did was turn up Hi and Low depth to 50% and turn the drive up. I don't use the rotary super dirty, but it needed a little to try and match the amp for the range where I use it. And all of that runs into a PEQ right before the output that is actually where the master hi-cut is (cab block high-cut is set flat....that PEQ also does other things).

I'll attach a screenshot of the layout. The compressor before the delay is just there to keep the kill-dry delay from getting ridiculous when I turn the guitar up for gainy sounds (they're always on). The other filter block is a level boost for the dry/non-rotary signal. Everything else should be straightforward.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-30 145151.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-30 145151.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 35
The beautiful thing to me is when he plays those magical notes from Shine on You Crazy Diamond. The way the drum is slowing down... That’s what I’m not hearing as much from the pedals.

The Fractal Leslie model speeds up and slows down like that automatically when you change the rate value. The time constant parameters for the horn and drum control their rates of change. On a real leslie, the horn is light weight and changes speed quite quickly. The drum is much heavier and takes longer to speed up and slow down. A lot of it is how you ride the switch and time the transitions, even with a real Leslie cab.

Does anyone know if there's an IR of a 122/147 Leslie? I guess ideally it would be two IRs, one for the upper and one for the lower.

Does anyone know if there's an IR of a 122/147 Leslie? I guess ideally it would be two IRs, one for the upper and one for the lower.
Was just looking the same thing this morning. Went throught the cab block list and did not see any Leslie cab IR. That would be great to have one as passig a guitar through a Leslie is totally different... :)

Some of these pedals do a decent job of fast speed, the Axe too.
I'm less fond of their slow speeds, and kind of disappointed by the one in Axe too.
The real one is majestic, and sexy as hell.
The effects are more like a chorus.
I'd love it if Fractal could do a level up on this.

I use the attached Rotary block. Channels A-C are speeds, A is slow, B is Fast, C is brake.

Using this layout for a switch puts everything in one place. I define it in an EFFECTS layout but put it where it seems most useful. Putting the HOLD settings in a TAP on a separate switch works fine too, but I use this on my FC6, FC9 and FC12 so for consistency and economy of switches I combined everything into one. YMMV. The custom label for HOLD is showing what the next channel will be, not what the current channel is.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 12.40.54 PM.png

Attachments

• Clean Rotary_20210812_162422.blk
    333 bytes · Views: 18
I've never had a lot of use for Brake in a situation where you could bypass the whole thing. Lo-fi bandpass.
I would love to have it switch through brake on its way to either speed, since the 3-position switch on the Leslie control goes Chorale - Brake - Vibrato, IIRC.

Too bad there isn't a 'Reverse' option in the wrap selector of the channel increment/decrement switch, so instead of wrapping from C to A or A to C when reaching a wrap point, it would reverse from C to B or A to B....

I suppose a controller could be adjusted to switch it if a bit of careful thought was given to the curve....

Back
Top Bottom