Real VS Model collection thread :)

for the record....the JVM is about as far away from a Plexi as you can get. i'd be frustrated to if i was trying to get a Plexi tone out of it...

Actually, I spend a lot of time over there, and they don't care either.

I've been a member forever, but don't frequent it as much as I used to (thanks to Fractal), But without a doubt, the Cork Sniffers there are some of the finest on the internet.

Those 4 Test methods are valid for personally A/B tests, but not for the "phase reverse" test:

The AxeFX is NOT an EXACT simulation of the real amp though. If it was, you could take both waveforms, one from the amp and one from the axe, reverse the phase and no sound would be heard. This is far from being the reality right now, though it probably is closer to being so with Cliff's amps, as every unit sounds a bit different even when they're mass produced using PCBs.

Why?

- Different latencys for both chains, if it`s only 1/48000 sample "off", phase reverse test will fail. I`ve done those thing extensively. You have to compensate this manually.
- As long as you don`t know the exact impedacane feedback of the actual cab or dummy load, the model can`t sound the same, because of different settings in the speaker tab, phase reverse test will fail (would love to know, how Cliff test refering to this issue).
- Levels must be 110% identical, or phase reverse test will fail.
- You don`t know the taper settings of the actual amp to the "idealized" ones from Cliff (at least Master % Presence) -> phase reverse test will fail.

That said, i`m interested in some A/B Clips, when you have the actual amps and do your comparison agenda!

for the record....the JVM is about as far away from a Plexi as you can get. i'd be frustrated to if i was trying to get a Plexi tone out of it...

I'm fully aware the JVM is quite far from a Plexi, and I don't expect I'll get anything Plexi-like from it.

I do quite enjoy the JVM 410 green channel sim on the Axe though, and it would be usable on a day to day basis to me as opposed to a Plexi which would be a pain to use at the required volumes. That said, I'll stop hijacking the OP's thread and only post again when I have actual A/B clips, just figured I'd post a few more methods of comparison, hopefully other people posting tones will go the extra mile to do the same comparisons as I plan to :)

You need a high quality IR of the mic position that was used with the real amps. That's a harder task. That will most likely be the biggest difference.

You need a high quality IR of the mic position that was used with the real amps. That's a harder task. That will most likely be the biggest difference.

Assuming I capture the IR through exactly the same cab + mic + mic pre setup I use to capture the sound of the amp afterwards without moving any of the microphones nor settings on the mic pre or anything, I can't seem to get why that would be hard to do, but you surely seem to know something I don't!

Mind sharing what challenges you faced going through a similar process CK?

Assuming I capture the IR through exactly the same cab + mic + mic pre setup I use to capture the sound of the amp afterwards without moving any of the microphones nor settings on the mic pre or anything, I can't seem to get why that would be hard to do, but you surely seem to know something I don't!

Mind sharing what challenges you faced going through a similar process CK?

Well I'm experienced with it so I don't personally have challenges with it. Sadly knowing all that can go wrong inbetween is what I'm worried about when people start talking about these comparisons. :) F.ex. what power amp is powering the cab? You can't use a tube amp unless you know how to remove the power amp color. What method are you creating the IR with?

Last edited:
The AxeFX is NOT an EXACT simulation of the real amp though. If it was, you could take both waveforms, one from the amp and one from the axe, reverse the phase and no sound would be heard. This is far from being the reality right now, though it probably is closer to being so with Cliff's amps, as every unit sounds a bit different even when they're mass produced using PCBs.
IMHO, YMMV.

Just to throw this out there.

You could perform this same test on the same amp at two different times and not get the results you are looking for. Amps are miles away from being anything "consistent."

-Nate

Last edited:
I've been a member forever, but don't frequent it as much as I used to (thanks to Fractal), But without a doubt, the Cork Sniffers there are some of the finest on the internet.

Good to know you don't spend much time over there now.

Last edited:
"Cork Sniffers" has been worn out, really. Not sure why some feel the need to act hostile toward guys that love tube amps, and are happy with tube amps. It's a personal choice, I happen to have and love both.

First I'm accused of being just like a religious extremist, now I'm hostile?

You guys both really need to take a step back and lighten the frack up. Opinions are only just opinions, and just because I don't agree with your pursuit does not make me either hostile or an extremist.

Have a great weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom