Real version of Axe synth block

ralphonz

Inspired
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a "real life" hardware version of the axe fx synth block? Any pedals out there with pitch tracking, three voices, exp pedal controlled filters and same choice of waveforms?

I've just finished an album for my band and we used the synth block a lot on the clarinet - it works perfectly being a monophonic instrument. However, we dont have £2500 to spend on another axe fx! Currently the clarinet plays through a POD HD live but the synth sounds are so lame compared to what we managed to achieve with the axe synth block.

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a "real life" hardware version of the axe fx synth block? Any pedals out there with pitch tracking, three voices, exp pedal controlled filters and same choice of waveforms?

I've just finished an album for my band and we used the synth block a lot on the clarinet - it works perfectly being a monophonic instrument. However, we dont have £2500 to spend on another axe fx! Currently the clarinet plays through a POD HD live but the synth sounds are so lame compared to what we managed to achieve with the axe synth block.

Why not just play that part on keys?

Get a Boss SY300. Much better tracking than the fractal synth block and polyphonic. To a point at least. Edited for I just saw the clarinet requirement :eek: Would be interested to see how that pans out. The SY still gets my vote. Would love to hear a clarinet through it haha :)

Last edited:
I like the iRig Pro Keys for shows that require keys in a few places but not enough to hire a full time keyboard player.

The iRig is small enough and still have decent size keys and action.

Why not just play that part on keys?

To answer your question the synth mix is moved up/down with the exp pedal so the dry clarinet is combined with the synth sound etc.. Needless to say there are some complex psychedelic effects going on and it just wouldn't be the same on the keys. Besides, a keyboard is much bigger and we'd need another able body to play it!

Get a Boss SY300. Much better tracking than the fractal synth block and polyphonic. To a point at least. Edited for I just saw the clarinet requirement :eek: Would be interested to see how that pans out. The SY still gets my vote. Would love to hear a clarinet through it haha :)

I have considered the SY300 but Clarinets are monophonic!! How are the synth editing parameters on the SY300? It looked horrible to use and the specs say nothing of filters or exp pedal control of parameters. Also, its maybe more than we need and not all that cheap.

an EWI usb might be an option if your clarinetist is out playing with you
Yeah we considered a EWI he'd also need something to control with it so this starts to look like a pretty expensive option.

I'm surprised there isn't any basic synth pedals out there, will have to look into the EHX stuff

Cheers All!

To answer your question the synth mix is moved up/down with the exp pedal so the dry clarinet is combined with the synth sound etc.. Needless to say there are some complex psychedelic effects going on and it just wouldn't be the same on the keys. Besides, a keyboard is much bigger and we'd need another able body to play it!

I misunderstood.

I thought you were looking for a cheap and easy alternative to buying another Fractal.

If you need expression pedal control of the mix and complex psychedelic efx, I'm not sure a cheap alternative is out there.

I have considered the SY300 but Clarinets are monophonic!! How are the synth editing parameters on the SY300? It looked horrible to use and the specs say nothing of filters or exp pedal control of parameters. Also, its maybe more than we need and not all that cheap.

Yeah we considered a EWI he'd also need something to control with it so this starts to look like a pretty expensive option.

I'm surprised there isn't any basic synth pedals out there, will have to look into the EHX stuff

Cheers All!
Plenty of parameter control via expression pedal. You could probably find a used one for $500ish? Best resource for these is here:
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14600.0

The SY-300 PC editor is quite user friendly. No more difficult than using Axe Edit. I don't even use the front panel of the SY.

It can be used with an expression pedal, but I don't have mine set up that way. I put my SY in the FXLoop of the Axe. Program changes to the SY are via the Axe MIDI thru. My exp pedals only control the Axe, and depending on the preset, can adjust the mix of the SY in the chain.

You can get the SY-300 to sound similar to the Axe synth if that's what you want.

For more info, I second what JiveTurkey said. Check out vguitarforums.

Regarding price, I got mine at a substantial discount because it was open box, but with warranty, from Musician's Friend.

SketchComedyShmengeBrothers.jpg

Unfortunatly he's no longer gigging. ;)

Back
Top Bottom