Real TS808 vs Axe Fx II

The beauty of the Axe Fx is that you can change the Low Cut and High Cut, which, in my opinion is very useful.

Since the recording i tweaked drive and tone on axe fx more and got even closer.

all other parameters are default

The first sounds a lot better. I'd be surprised if you couldn't make the Axe sound closer (recording at least... A/B playing often makes it easier to distinguish the two). The second half sounds muffled. You may need some eq going INTO the drive block to make it sound closer.

What was High Cut set to in the drive block?

Try changing Clip type TO 4558 ,should get the vibe closer , the biggest difference in the Ts9 and 808 was the chips

In my computer speakers and in my home headphones they sounded pretty much the same, but passing the audio thru a pair of Adam S3X-H studio monitors the clear winner is the first clip.

IMPORTANT!: Press on the link, somehow play button doesn't work.

I believe it is because of your account being set to 'Private' not allowing linked sites to remotely play your clips.

Would be cool if the controls would match on the Axe fx vs real thing.

Back to the topic, a GREAT thing about the AFX is that it DOES sound nearly identical to the TS9 as others provided info for (compare to vid below):

But I do agree that it isn't like the 808 really. It doesn't have that authentic groove of overdrive that made the TS pedals so iconic. It is close and you have to overcompensate some of the drive parameters (at least I do), but it does what most of us feel is necessary for imitation.

I was thinking the track sounds rather Andy Timmons'ish ;) good post mate.

I don't think the Drive pedal controls are 100% matched to the originals (unlike the amp models these days). at least not all of them and the TS model always had more Gain and Level (good if needed) than the original. but, not every TS sounds exactly like the next one. there's always gonna be slight tolerance issues. not a TS fan myself, but I've got an old MIJ TS10 (with the correct chip) and the Axe gets really really close to that.

I haven't owned hundreds of TS based pedals, but everyone of them had different sweet spots and sounded a little different at the same settings. I guess I never expected the AxeFX to be different in that regard. Plus the drive block just seems to be a real one size fits all type of thing where you just make it your own.

Then again the only real drive block I use is the FET boost. Way too easy to get the overdrive from the amp models vs the real world. :)

I must be deaf. I don't really hear any difference other than the playing. At least not any that would make one or the other a CLEAR winner.

Its the ribbon tweeter on the Adams, they are truly the best ones t that price point, they bring out the details that other speakers can't. But since we all do use normal speakers to hear the differences are minimal at best.

BTW, this i the setup i used to listen to the example. ;)

Probably because it is a riff from Electric Gypsy by Andy Timmons :D

Oh... Well, well that just explains it all then... Love Timmons, I have seen him live a few times. He's an emotional and honest player, got to chat with him briefly about his Ibanez axe's cool guy.

If the second one is the axefx, to me it sounds like it needs more tone to match closer. It definitely sounded darker.

I don't think the Drive pedal controls are 100% matched to the originals (unlike the amp models these days). at least not all of them

+1

I've got excellent tones coming from the Drive models, but not based on the actual settings on the real counterparts.

+1

I've got excellent tones coming from the Drive models, but not based on the actual settings on the real counterparts.

Its kind of confusing for most people, i'm all for "use your ears not eyes" to dial tones, yet lets not forget that this are emulations of real units and as so the pots, its taper and all that stuff could be at least set to get the best approximation if one has at hand the same model of unit.

Back
Top Bottom