Real tone!

wembley

Inspired
Bit the bullet after missing my tube amps and bought a new Two-Rock Sensor. Amazing amp. And it's when you plug in to your Two-Rock with a great cabinet, a nice reverb and delay, cranking it a bit, listening to the tone... that you realise how freakin' amazing the Axe-FX 2 is.

Not a bad word about the Sensor, it really sounds amazing, but -man!- so does the Axe! Purely tone-wise, it's really up there.

Sorry, had to ventilate ;)

Had a similar thought a few months ago. Plugged into my 67 super reverb for the first time in 10 months and jammed. loved the sound, but after a while, started to hear little things that bugged me that I could dial out in the Axe-FX, but was stuck with using the vintage amp. Made me smile and realized that the current axe fx really does model the Super reverb exactly and that I'm NOT missing anything by sticking with the digital setup.

..in fact, its to the point where you are limiting your tone using a real amp since you no longer have the switching, editing, effects, eq, routing options the axe gives you. Super reverb stock for one tune...then raging VH the next! :)

Same here with my Dumblesipulami Preamp - I can switch between the ODS S/N213 in the axe and my real tube preamp - the difference is so little, sometimes I can't tell which is which until I watch the display! It's awesome! :)

...and beside that, it's funny - now realized I made my 50k$ amp on my kitchen table during christmas time :lol

Had a similar thought a few months ago. Plugged into my 67 super reverb for the first time in 10 months and jammed. loved the sound, but after a while, started to hear little things that bugged me that I could dial out in the Axe-FX, but was stuck with using the vintage amp. Made me smile and realized that the current axe fx really does model the Super reverb exactly and that I'm NOT missing anything by sticking with the digital setup.

..in fact, its to the point where you are limiting your tone using a real amp since you no longer have the switching, editing, effects, eq, routing options the axe gives you. Super reverb stock for one tune...then raging VH the next! :)

The Super Reverb is the amp I'm currently using for cleans, and when it's paired with one of the new Ownhammer Greenback cabs, it's an amazing amp for that hairy clean-crunch tone. It sounds amazingly chimey and 3d and can really growl when you dig in. One of my current favorites. I used to own one from the late sixties myself, great amp, and it's greatly captured in the Axe.

But, yeah, the sheer abundance of great amps, effects and cabs has spoiled me, I guess. And however great an experience it is to plug into a great amp, I seem to really fast miss not only the portability (important for fly gigs but not vital) but the ability to quickly add a fuzz, test a new cab, fine tuning how hard the guitar hits the input of the amp, etc. But the main thing I realized is how great some of the Axe's amps sound, the pure tone. I seem to have gone somewhat deaf during my years of gigging with the Axe, but comparing the Axe to how my tube amps sounds miked up was a real ear opener ;)

Back
Top Bottom