Real time MIDI control of amp and stomp parameters?

JWDubois

Inspired
Hello,

I'm doing some pre-purchase investigation. I have no need of a foot controller, but I am looking for a way to reduce menu diving. Is it possible to use a MIDI control surface such as this:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCR2000.aspx

to do real time control of basic amp and stomp parameters (gain, tone controls, levels, delay time, etc)? I have browsed the Fractal site and manual, but I couldn't find a list of MIDI CC parameters.

Thanx,
JWW

JWDubois said:
I'm doing some pre-purchase investigation. I have no need of a foot controller, but I am looking for a way to reduce menu diving. Is it possible to use a MIDI control surface such as this:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCR2000.aspx

to do real time control of basic amp and stomp parameters (gain, tone controls, levels, delay time, etc)?
Only those parameters that have been made assignable (e.g., Drive, MV, and Level) are externally controllable via CC#. To control the other params, you'll have to send sysex data. I've looked into the Behringer, and unfortunately it can't send sysex data in response to changes in its control settings. So, no, it won't do what you want. I haven't found anything that will so far.

Jay Mitchell said:
I've looked into the Behringer, and unfortunately it can't send sysex data in response to changes in its control settings. So, no, it won't do what you want. I haven't found anything that will so far.
Not sure what you mean by "in response to changes in its control settings" but otherwise, with lots of reading and research (i.e. this isn't easy), it can send most of the SysEx required for advanced parameter changes. If you meant that it doesn't know what's going on on the Axe-Fx though, then yes, that's true. Or if you meant that 3rd-party tools are required and the specific SysEx edits required on the BCR aren't officially supported, then yes, that's true too. Or if you just mean that it won't work by default, then yeah.

Otherwise, look up BC Manager. And maybe the BCR's "secrets" pdf.

In any case... after getting this working (note that this is also not supported by Fractal), I still don't really use it -- the built-in controllable parameters or working on the Axe-Fx itself are usually sufficient and provide better visual feedback than a dumb (in the sense of its awareness of what it's controlling) controller.

godprobe said:
Not sure what you mean by "in response to changes in its control settings"
I mean that, when you turn a knob on the device ("change a control setting"), it sends the sysex data required to make the intended changes in the parameter you want to adjust.

but otherwise, with lots of reading and research (i.e. this isn't easy), it can send most of the SysEx required for advanced parameter changes.
I had read the user's manual, and it was clear that Behringer had not provided for this capacity.

In any case... after getting this working (note that this is also not supported by Fractal), I still don't really use it -- the built-in controllable parameters or working on the Axe-Fx itself are usually sufficient and provide better visual feedback than a dumb (in the sense of its awareness of what it's controlling) controller.
Let me make sure I understand: are you saying that it is possible to program a BCR200 to control commonly-accessed amp controls (e.g., tone, presence, MV, etc.,) in real time? If so, it would potentially be a useful gigging UI for players who prefer knobs.

Jay Mitchell said:
Let me make sure I understand: are you saying that it is possible to program a BCR200 to control commonly-accessed amp controls (e.g., tone, presence, MV, etc.,) in real time? If so, it would potentially be a useful gigging UI for players who prefer knobs.
Yes

viewtopic.php?p=51116#p51116

Hello,

BEHRINGER: BCR2000

to do real time control of basic amp and stomp parameters (gain, tone controls, levels, delay time, etc)? I have browsed the Fractal site and manual, but I couldn't find a list of MIDI CC parameters.

Thanx,
JWW

You might be interested by the MidyAX which will soon allow that. Check my signature for the preview.

Back
Top Bottom