Real-Time Analyzer

jyflorida

Power User
Is there a way to run an MP3 (isolated guitar track) through the RTA?

I have the Axe selected as the sound card and the track plays through the FRFR but I'm at a loss as to how to get the the audio to go through the inputs or the USB input. Or if it's even possible since there's no selectable reference source. Thanks!!

Is there a way to run an MP3 (isolated guitar track) through the RTA?

I have the Axe selected as the sound card and the track plays through the FRFR but I'm at a loss as to how to get the the audio to go through the inputs or the USB input. Or if it's even possible since there's no selectable reference source. Thanks!!
I think of you select Axe Fx output 7/8 on the computer then add the USB Input block you can get the direct Input from your computer.

However, you can attach the RTA to the Output 1 block. I assume it will show that audio.

On the Mac I was able to achieve this just now by:
  1. Add a In USB block
  2. Connect to RTA block
  3. Set "Input Select" to "L+R"
  4. Go to "Audio MIDI Setup.app" (in "/Applications/Utilities" folder)
  5. "Configure Speakers... " button, set "Left Front" to "OUT 7 [In U Block L]" and "Right Front" to "OUT 8 [In U Block R]"
Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 4.02.31 PM.png

Then I played my MP3 in iTunes and I'm seeing the spectrum in the RTA block.

If you're on Windows the setup to rout sound to OUT7+8 will be different, but same idea (not a Windows guy, so I dunno there, but Google should help). Basically, you want to get the computer's sound to OUT7+8 as that's where the IN USB block receives the computer channels on according to the manual.

Not seeing anything in my setup that allows me to route the sound to Output 7/8.
upload_2018-9-28_20-57-56.png

Nothing in the USB audio control panel that lets me select routings. Sorry if I'm being dense about this.

Not seeing anything in my setup that allows me to route the sound to Output 7/8.
View attachment 49796

Nothing in the USB audio control panel that lets me select routings. Sorry if I'm being dense about this.
Quick glance at the internet sounds like Windows 10 has added the ability (under Settings > System > Sound apparently) to specify and route audio per application. On Windows 7 seems like the recommendations are for a 3rd party application called "Audio Router"... Hopefully some other Windows users on the forum might have more specific/better info for you, I haven't even seen a Windows since XP I don't think, so I'm definitely out of my depth there.

Not sure about getting it to work when using the Axe as the sound card, because I don't, but if you happen to use Reaper as your DAW (or probably any other DAW), then you can get this to work no problem....just tried it. Reaper lets you route a track to USB 7&8, so you just play your MP3 on that track, and it gets routed to the USB In block on the Axe. Hope this makes sense.....ha ha.

Reaper isn't seeing anything Axe.
upload_2018-9-29_19-40-27.png

When I go into the settings, I don't have any input/output choices:
upload_2018-9-29_19-41-34.png

I tried reinstalling the USB drivers for Windows but it didn't help. This is the first time I've tried to use Reaper since I've had the Axe III.

The only diff. between your pref. screen and mine, is I have req. sample rate checked, with 48000 in the box, and I have 512 in the block size....don't know if this will fix or not. And also the ports are showing up in the inputs and outputs of course. If you click on ASIO config button, does the FAS control panel come up?

Another thing you might try is choosing something other than ASIO temporarily, hit apply and then go back to ASIO and see if they show up. Also, do you have the latest Reaper build?

Back
Top Bottom