Real piano sound?

fromthebark

Experienced
Has anyone ever created a patch that will made an electric, reg pickups (mine being PRS, or G&L with 2 HBs) that sounds even remotely like a piano, or has anyone tried to tonematch a piano?? Grand Piano, upright, whatever, that doesn't matter. (though if if anyones gotten a rhodes or similar tone, hey, i'll take it).. my band's cover is tentatively going to be "Easy" at our show this sunday including the singer from the headlining band, and I'd rather just play guitar than have a keyboard rig set-up for a friend to jump up and play for just the one song. Just another rig / pain in my ass / thing taking up stage space that I don't need.

Another thought, does EHX have a pedal that does Piano? I know they have the organs and mellotron ones, does the mellotron have a piano setting on it? Maybe I'll just buy one. I want at least one of those crazy little boxes anyway.

But obviously i'd love to just build a patch for one. Let's get creative y'alls!

Thanks, wonderful axers. <3 chris

No; one thing you must be careful though if you achieve playing/triggering realistic samples ... The way chords are played or arpeggiated is just very different for piano versus a guitar.

Same thing happens when you try to play guitar on the keyboard it's just "wrong".

yea well first thing im learning is that polyphony is going to be the biggest problem most likely

totally unrelated, I did manage to get the best clean sound I've gotten in 2 years so far with the micro boost > AC-20 12ax7B > OH MAR66 CG-12 mix MG > optical comp 2. happy accidents ;)

Fractals is soooo right, the way piano players voice chords is truly alien to a fretboard and guitar tuning. If you're just trying to keep some of the flavor of the original in play, maybe check out the Ehx Key9 for a polyphonic rhodes impression. I completely doubt anyone is going to be fooled into thinking you are playing a note for note version of the original arrangement, but it could at least provide a nod to the original. I'm sure that heads will still be bobbing, and beer will still be flowing.

yea i mean, our boy hopping up and playing a piano would be closer to the real version, a rhodes would probably sound cooler imo, I've always been an advocate of putting your own stank on a cover anyway, what fun is it really to do an exact cover of a song, they could just listen to the actual song right? (Unless it's Umphrey's Mcgee.. they tend to do their covers better than the original band can play it live, i digress.. ) But I would like some kind of mellow keyboard sound magically created from my guitar though.

Back
Top Bottom