Real Peavey 5150 II, Axe Preset Inside, Kemper Profile!

Thanks, man.. they were just sloppy, quick IR's but I'll be doing am extensive pack at some point if I like them enough. I also usually hate gt-75s but these ones sound a bit different than every other that I've hear/played/toured with. I'd love to know what SinMix's mic technique (or maybe it's just the mics) he uses and the capture method though... his sound fantastic

Well I've got one eye on you and @SinMix for IR's now :D

Amazing work!

It's really nice to see a comparison between the real amp and the Axe FX II in a full mix context.

To my ears the real amp is a little 'woolier' or indistinct in the introduction section, whereas the Axe has some nice clarity. All three sound absolutely killer though! Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :)

Thx Guys!
What Next? well :D
Let's see My Mesa DR Rev.F 1992 Mesa OS412 loaded with 70W V30 speakers and sm57/md421. Some samples soon.
Stay Metal!

Attachments

• IMG_20180209_105523_593.jpg
    IMG_20180209_105523_593.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 3
Good comparison. It was funny to see people totally dismiss a test like this "elsewhere", not wanting to believe axe can sound even remotely close to kemper (and the real amp).

Sinmix has been dialing in some of the best modern metal tones for a while now. I'm not a modern metal guy, but for what he does he puts a lot of effort in it and knows what he's doing.

.. And he has great cabs for such applications.:) Him bringing his tones over to axe will be interesting to see.

The kemper nailed the cab better but the distortion is more rudimentary. I don't get what kemper does but their cab sims are always better replicas than normal IRs, with more room involved and a better restitution of the higher frequencies.

The kemper nailed the cab better but the distortion is more rudimentary. I don't get what kemper does but their cab sims are always better replicas than normal IRs, with more room involved and a better restitution of the higher frequencies.

Being from the kemper world (using axe too, but not involved much in axe community) I am not generally seeing that difference tbh. In fact I often use Kemper with direct profiles (amp only profiles) with IRs in daw in place of so called “studio “ profiles (IRs I like loose quality when converted to kemper format, as well).

If I’d say something it’s that kemper studio profiles include of amp-cab interaction you may not always get as accurately with axe amp model plus IR. It’s a struggle somewhat similar to even resistive loadbox + amp + IR.

That said using tonematching to target whole signal chain/source tone usually solves this problem — if for some it’s a problem at all.

@Dimi84 Of course, it's only apparent if the cab was mic'd in an environment that enhances the sound. So most Kemper profiles don't do better than most IRs because most people don't mic their cabs well enough to get the room to make a difference.

Since you mention it, I made tonematches of my cabs using the whole signal chain, and IRs so accurate you need a vu-meter to see the difference, but the more the room adds dimension to the sound, sadly, the more the IR sounds like a 2D dead copy of a 3D lively object. It's probably more related to the capture signal itself since kemper, or even two notes do better (try two notes back mics), so it proves that IRs aren't that limited, but it also proves the difficulty of overcoming that limit, since even in the fractal packs and other famous 3rd parties, none succeeded so far to cross the limit.

@speedloader If you have a kemper profile you feel has captured that "3 D" sound (that most IR fail to capture) you can try shooting an IR of the kemper cab. In blind test they have been super close when I've done this -- tested with quite a few profiles I've made in studio, as well as some of the most "famed" profiles of others.

This has me think the "3 D" issue is not so much a limitation of the technology. I see people quite happy with the cab capture of kemper when it's the tone they wanted all along, especially folks who haven't tried capturing IR of the same source (not as standardized procedure as profiling is -- fewer people do it and post results)

Lack of "room" has also been an issue with kemper btw -- the more you add, the less is there, typically. Eventually the tones differ drastically, in relation to more distance / room you add.

@Dimi84 I don't have a Kemper, just my conclusion based on various demos. Of course Kemper must have issues with room mics. It can only make an average static image of what the mic captures in general, so the more we hear the room reflections, the more we lose that dynamic.

HI, One preset was for free this one based on my Real 5150 II with my own Mesa Rectifier 2x12 [60W] cab IR [miced with 2 sm57] will be soon available in my Metal Pack I for Axe! Enjoy!

Stay Metal!

And short sample First Real 5150 then Axe Preset again Real 5150 and Axe Preset.

Stay Metal!

Back
Top Bottom