Real JVM 410 vs a simple BOSS GT8

gabriele ciullo

Experienced
There is someone here who said that maybe I should learn to tweak sound without use a useful profiler (which, in my opinion, could be implemented in the Axe Fx as a tool block ). Ok, so I used my ears on a "ordinary" Boss GT8.

This is a fast comparison between a real Marshall JVM 410h Preamp OD1 channel orange and a modified sound that I created on a Boss GT8 to emulate the JVM. Both units are connected to the same cabinet emulator. The tick/click noise is caused from the rapid switch between the two units.
In the first clip I change often between the two units. In the last two clips there is a jam on a unit at a time.There is only a little difference in the equalization, but the compression and the drive are identical.
The guitar used is a HSS Fender Stratocaster Deluxe. :encouragement:

10978627_998347716860226_1363473455208511360_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with Rotti -- not sure of the point of your post.

If you want to be comparing things, compare the real Marshall to the AxeFX II version and then maybe you'll get some feedback.

TT

I get the point. "It can be done". Good job on that dude. I think of the last two clips, the first one is the real amp. You could definitely fool the typical audience with that GT8 tone. But I think all the difference would be felt by you when playing it though. The GT8 hasn't got the right feel to it. I used to own one. When I bought an Axe Standard 7 years ago, I immediately could tell there was a great improvement in feel compared with the GT8. By all accounts, feel has improved greatly since then too.

I get the point. "It can be done". Good job on that dude. I think of the last two clips, the first one is the real amp. You could definitely fool the typical audience with that GT8 tone. But I think all the difference would be felt by you when playing it though. The GT8 hasn't got the right feel to it. I used to own one. When I bought an Axe Standard 7 years ago, I immediately could tell there was a great improvement in feel compared with the GT8. By all accounts, feel has improved greatly since then too.

It's not a normal setting of the Boss Amp model. I will not even give you the right answer, perhaps there would be a surprise?

I get why your posting...I read a lot of replies that sometimes state that the OP doesnt know how to dial in a sound/amp or have a clue of what they are talking about when in the AXE world, there are sometimes 'too many cooks in the kitchen' when trying to cook a pot of Awesome Tone Chili in the Black Box Oven. I think the clip above was great sounding and would have no problem jamming with that tone. Kudos on the tweaking. I had BOSS GT 3/8/10 units and thought they sounded great for what they are/were. Well, minus the 10, that thing had some preamp issues to me.

But nice tone...Not sure what else was all said previously...but nice tone! If you dial something similar in with the Axe FX let me know...I'd be curious to get my Gen 1 unit in that ball park and would be curious to see some settings.

I get why your posting...I read a lot of replies that sometimes state that the OP doesnt know how to dial in a sound/amp or have a clue of what they are talking about when in the AXE world, there are sometimes 'too many cooks in the kitchen' when trying to cook a pot of Awesome Tone Chili in the Black Box Oven. I think the clip above was great sounding and would have no problem jamming with that tone. Kudos on the tweaking. I had BOSS GT 3/8/10 units and thought they sounded great for what they are/were. Well, minus the 10, that thing had some preamp issues to me.

But nice tone...Not sure what else was all said previously...but nice tone! If you dial something similar in with the Axe FX let me know...I'd be curious to get my Gen 1 unit in that ball park and would be curious to see some settings.

Thank you The_Kid !!! :)
Yes, I think the same, the Boss GT10 has a strange compression, but gt3,gt6,gt8 and gt100 have useful amps.

In the Axe Fx (17.04) for a JVM OD1 orange sound, I use the jcm 800 mod (that has more thunk) with boost activated, modifyng also the input trim setting.
I also use the Amp Block graphic equalizer (set with 3 band eq), to take away the middle frequencies .
The Axe JVM model is far from the original IMO.
I do not know if it will be improved with the 18 firmware. For now,in the G3 amps list (18 beta) there is not the JVM.

Well I dunno what the point of this thread is either. Boss GT is better than Axe-Fx? Anyways the tone in that clip you posted is not what I would go for personally. That clip is 100% Boss GT right? To me it all sounds like COSM.

That aside I also have a GT8 at the rehearsal space and it's a really fun unit to plug straight into a real amp. It's so simple and the effects are actually pretty good.

Well I dunno what the point of this thread is either. Boss GT is better than Axe-Fx? Anyways the tone in that clip you posted is not what I would go for personally. That clip is 100% Boss GT right? To me it all sounds like COSM.

That aside I also have a GT8 at the rehearsal space and it's a really fun unit to plug straight into a real amp. It's so simple and the effects are actually pretty good.

No, you're wrong. So you think that JVM original sounds like COSM. I'm very happy now.
AXE FX is the best processor.

No, you're wrong. So you think that JVM original sounds like COSM. I'm very happy now.
AXE FX is the best processor.

:) They do sound really similar.

I've only owned the JVM for a month or so and can't really remember it's tone. I remember thinking that many people that I respect use it but I wasn't too happy with it so I sold it quite fast.

The Axe JVM model is far from the original IMO.
I do not know if it will be improved with the 18 firmware. For now,in the G3 amps list (18 beta) there is not the JVM.
In 18 beta every amp take advantages of new modeling firmware. Not all amps are matched, but they should sound close enough...

Just for the curious and for those who love the JVM (I love the JVM), the second clip is GT8 while the third is the JVM. The second clip sounds better because I have added more thunk. The signal path in the GT8 is: OD-EQ-AMP, OD (as a booster), EQ (with a boost on the low end) and a MS High Gain model (set to Low gain). ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom