'Real' HIWATT → X-LOAD LB-2 → XL+ running Fane/WEM IR's

Burgs

Power User
This video was made for Robert Keeley's Dark Side fuzz/modulation pedal. So although you don't see the Fractal products, they're clearly listed and credited.

The X-LOAD has proven to be a godsend in the studio. There's no way I could've cranked my HIWATT (Custom Shop 50 Combo - a little DR103, really) as loud as I was able to with the X-LOAD and not have the cops call around. The X-LOAD ran direct to the front input of my XL+. Two IR's: Fane and WEM quads (factory, if I recall correctly) were joined occasionally by a multidelay plexshift, and that's it, really. So much fun. I went pretty berserk to show off the pedal in all its acid glory.

I may never mic another speaker cabinet again. What's the point?

Last edited:
That fuzz! Awesome demo. Great showcase of some killer products. Clearly, the X-LOAD is something special.

That is a killer video my friend
GWhat was your signal path? guitar> DARKSIDE>HIWATT

Have you tried to tone match the HiWatt?

That is a killer video my friend
GWhat was your signal path? guitar> DARKSIDE>HIWATT

Have you tried to tone match the HiWatt?

No, I haven't tried to tone match the HIWATT, but I will one of these days. Cliff's DR103 is pretty great so I haven't really found the need to.

Signal path: Guitar, Dark Side, HIWATT, X-LOAD, front input of Axe-FX II XL+, Logic. That's it. :)

Those feedback type sounds near the start when you switch to fuzz mode are so very good.
----
From the keeley web site,
" The Fuzz side of the Dark Side is a big fuzz style distortion based on a 1977 op-amp style."
----
I don't know if they are referring to the same thing but we used to make fuzz boxes ourselves before 1977 using a 741 op amp with massive gain and two diodes, one in each direction, across the output to square the waveform. A pot was added to the 741 feedback resistor for crude depth of fuzz control.

A small but effective battery powered headphone amp was made in a similar way.

Last edited:
Ok ok , buying my LB 2 now....I’ve always been curious what my Friedman Runt really sounds like cranked..(their proprietary direct out doesn’t t do it for me.)

Dude.... I swear if this was 1968I’d be worshiping you as a God.... I’ve been checking yiu out for two days and you are a marvel, a wonder and such a humble man. You give me faith in humanity again. Keep up the amazing work!

Dude.... I swear if this was 1968I’d be worshiping you as a God.... I’ve been checking yiu out for two days and you are a marvel, a wonder and such a humble man. You give me faith in humanity again. Keep up the amazing work!

Whoa! You made me blush. I thank you for making my day. I'm a long way off a god, though. A loooong way! But I can put on a decent bbq! :D All the best to you, Sir.

Back
Top Bottom