• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

'Real' HIWATT → X-LOAD LB-2 → XL+ running Fane/WEM IR's

Burgs

Inspired
This video was made for Robert Keeley's Dark Side fuzz/modulation pedal. So although you don't see the Fractal products, they're clearly listed and credited.

The X-LOAD has proven to be a godsend in the studio. There's no way I could've cranked my HIWATT (Custom Shop 50 Combo - a little DR103, really) as loud as I was able to with the X-LOAD and not have the cops call around. The X-LOAD ran direct to the front input of my XL+. Two IR's: Fane and WEM quads (factory, if I recall correctly) were joined occasionally by a multidelay plexshift, and that's it, really. So much fun. I went pretty berserk to show off the pedal in all its acid glory.

I may never mic another speaker cabinet again. What's the point?

Last edited:

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
That fuzz! Awesome demo. Great showcase of some killer products. Clearly, the X-LOAD is something special.

boardwlk17

Forum Addict
That is a killer video my friend
GWhat was your signal path? guitar> DARKSIDE>HIWATT

Have you tried to tone match the HiWatt?

Burgs

Inspired
That is a killer video my friend
GWhat was your signal path? guitar> DARKSIDE>HIWATT

Have you tried to tone match the HiWatt?
No, I haven't tried to tone match the HIWATT, but I will one of these days. Cliff's DR103 is pretty great so I haven't really found the need to.

Signal path: Guitar, Dark Side, HIWATT, X-LOAD, front input of Axe-FX II XL+, Logic. That's it. :)

Marrafat

Veteran
Those feedback type sounds near the start when you switch to fuzz mode are so very good.
----
From the keeley web site,
" The Fuzz side of the Dark Side is a big fuzz style distortion based on a 1977 op-amp style."
----
I don't know if they are referring to the same thing but we used to make fuzz boxes ourselves before 1977 using a 741 op amp with massive gain and two diodes, one in each direction, across the output to square the waveform. A pot was added to the 741 feedback resistor for crude depth of fuzz control.

A small but effective battery powered headphone amp was made in a similar way.

Last edited:

bradlake

Axe-Master
Ok ok , buying my LB 2 now....I’ve always been curious what my Friedman Runt really sounds like cranked..(their proprietary direct out doesn’t t do it for me.)

Dude.... I swear if this was 1968I’d be worshiping you as a God.... I’ve been checking yiu out for two days and you are a marvel, a wonder and such a humble man. You give me faith in humanity again. Keep up the amazing work!

Burgs

Inspired
Dude.... I swear if this was 1968I’d be worshiping you as a God.... I’ve been checking yiu out for two days and you are a marvel, a wonder and such a humble man. You give me faith in humanity again. Keep up the amazing work!
Whoa! You made me blush. I thank you for making my day. I'm a long way off a god, though. A loooong way! But I can put on a decent bbq! :D All the best to you, Sir.

Top Bottom