Real Friedman BE-50 or Axe-Fx 3?

Have compared Axe to tube power amp to 4x12 against amp to same 4x12. At least four times, maybe more and with friends/family.

Something is missing as the real amp always wins. Its ok, the Axe and Kemper are more convenient. My tubes can rest and last longer ....
I found if I use the 10 band eq when running into a tube power amp I can dial in those missing frequencies. I was able to get the axe fx3 to sound to my ears just like my evh 5150iii and orange Rockerverb when going back and forth between them. Hope maybe that helps.

Have compared Axe to tube power amp to 4x12 against amp to same 4x12. At least four times, maybe more and with friends/family.

Something is missing as the real amp always wins. Its ok, the Axe and Kemper are more convenient. My tubes can rest and last longer ....
That hasn’t been my experience, except where it difference can be accounted for by differences in power amp or cab.

I never got that “nothing beats a real tube amp pushing air on ur face” thing tbh. I have my own tube amps and an Axe FX III, and yeah, if you run the Axe through studio monitors or an FRFR setup, don’t expect it to feel like a tube amp. But if you run it through a Matrix power amp and an cab, it’s gonna feel and sound like an actual tube amp for reasons that at this point should be obvious.

Do I like my Axe more than my tube amps? No.
Do I like my Tube amps more than my Axe? No.

If set up correctly through using the same cab, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a tube amp and an Axe model.

I run mine through a Mesa 4x12 btw.

Last edited:
Real Fenders, Friedman, Fortins, and Marshalls are always my preference, IF I can crank them and survive the decibels.

For recording or just ficking around a Kemper or Axe is ok. It was true for Axe I, Axe II, and now ...... funny, but the tube amps survive ....... Each to their own.

It is important to consider your needs and the practicality of a real amp. My main dirty tone on the Axe III is a 100W Plexi turned up to 9 into a 4x12 cab. There is simply no way the real thing could ever happen at my church. If you cruise over to other forums, you'll find real amp people struggling with attenuators and stuff, trying to get that cranked tone at a reasonable volume and it's not the same.

As a soundman, I've dealt with micing real amps and trying to isolate them so you can turn it up more and get the tubes going. When you isolate the cab and run your sound through the PA and monitors vs standing in front of it openly, you've lost most of the magic of the real amp experience over a good modeler.

I'm not going to add anything new here, just echo what others have said. My ideal setup is a 1959 SLP through a 4x12. The places I play, I could never turn that Plexi up loud enough to get the sound I want. The Axe sounds great at any volume.

From an emotional standpoint, I would love the look of that true Plexi on top of my 4x12, it's just rock n roll. From a practical perspective, Axe every time. Even other guitarists I play with who don't have the Axe have said the same.

Given what Fender has done with their 1st two Tone Master digital amps, we can expect similar from Marshall, Vox, etc., within 1-2 years. Then we can have a Marshall head on a cabinet doing 60-70 Marshall tone with power scalable from 100 to ½ watts.

I cannot wait!

Given what Fender has done with their 1st two Tone Master digital amps, we can expect similar from Marshall, Vox, etc., within 1-2 years. Then we can have a Marshall head on a cabinet doing 60-70 Marshall tone with power scalable from 100 to ½ watts.

I cannot wait!
You can do that now. Use your favorite modeler with a power amp and cab.

I have a Friedman Smallbox and the AxeFx III. I like having the amp for the "in the room" feeling and sound. For recording, headphones, and direct out the AxeFx III almost always wins. You can also use an FRFR speaker cab with the AxeFx and get amazing results.

Personally I wouldn't spend that much for a new Friedman and would go used if you really wanted both.

Back
Top Bottom