Real Diezel VH4 (pre-amp section) with Axe Setup

Joshua Guinn

My question is, and btw I’m new to Axe Fx world so go easy lol, would there be any tonal advantage to sending real Diezel VH4 FX Send to Axe FX loop, then use a clean amp block to get power section “Sag” response and Own Hammer IR?

My goal is for both Live and Recording purposes, which is, to apply real analog qualities of my Diezel preamp section and be able to use fx blocks and send that signal via XLR to DAW (for recording) or venue PA and also have my amp/cab setup on stage for my personal sound preference and thus avoiding having to mic up my 4x12 cab.

My justification is that since I own the real amp, I can take advantage of the real analog preamp section tone while avoiding mic placement issues onstage and getting a more “legit” tone when recording and to take advantage of great IR’s.

Thanks all for any suggestions and lended knowledge.

There aren’t any power amp sim models in the axe FX, nor the ability to disable the preamp only on amp models, so you may have some trouble getting a sound you like, running the preamp into the axe FX. Running it into a clean amp model, that would be like using the VH4’s preamp as a distortion pedal in front of a clean amp. You may get a good sound but doubtful you’d be using the same settings as you like into your cab for the stage sound.

You can kinda make a ‘generic tube power amp’ patch using the ‘tube pre’ model, and copying over all the advanced settings off some other amp model (as the ‘preamp’ section in that model is meant to be neutral) but that’s really more of a generic power amp sound, I doubt it will sound like a Diezel power section.

I was thinking about this a while back, is there a way to have a tube amp and cab on stage, but go direct for the FOH. Running a tube amp into a reactive load, then sending the line level signal into the axe FX for effects and cab models (for FOH) would work but you’d need a second power amp for the stage sound cab (solidstate would be ideal as you’ve already got tube power amp flavour from the vh4).

Another option is running a reactive load box and the stage sound cab in parallel. Then run the line out of the reactive load into the axe FX for effects and cab sim for FOH. You do lose effects on the stage sound cab though. Maybe some kind of 4-cable-method would work though - axe FX in amp FX loop, then the reactive load line out into the second input of the axe FX. Potential for ground loops or other noise, but it might work.

So I attempted this idea tonight. Ran the serial FX send to the Output 2/FX Return. I had a 2x12 Mesa cab connect. Initially I had the Axe chain with just an amp block and Mesa OwnHammer cab IR. Sounded like trash. Removed the amp block and BINGO. Set the Channel 3 Volume as high as I could without clipping and went to work recording. I even did a Tone Match to Tool’s Lateralus guitars, as I play in a Tool Tribute band, and it matched superbly.

The additional benefit was that I just used the Master Volume to kill the level to the 2x12 Mesa and now I can record without annoying my wife. For shows, I’ll have the OG tone from my cab on stage and send a stereo to the House. No more mics!

Tomorrow I’ll be working in reverse, using the Tone Match block to see if I can dial in the Axe modeling version of the Diezel Silver Ch.3 and if successful I’ll probably just roll with that for recording and possibly shows but it’s great to know this is just another option on the table.

Yeah a lot of times I feel like you don’t actually need the power amp modeling, especially for higher gain tones. Don’t get me wrong, it definitely makes a difference, but sometimes it’s just pretty negligible with the modern high gain amps.

Glad it worked out for you. My other suggestion was going to be checking out the fryette ps-2. People seem to love them and it would let you do everything you’re talking about doing.

Back
Top Bottom