Real cab + FR cab

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I'm thinking about trying out a hybrid monitoring system for BP and live use. I've been rocking an ASM12 for a while now and it sounds great at BP, also sounded great at sound check at my last couple shows. For some reason about 1/2 through my last few live shows though it seems to sound really harsh in the upper mids. It's probly something with my ears getting fried but I'm thinking why not have the best of both anyway?

So I'm thinking of running a 2x12 guitar cab on end with the ASM next to it. I'll use the 2x12 for crunchy Marshall sounds, and the asm for everything else (leads and clean).

Anyone doing something like this?

So just for monitoring / backline you’d have two paths.

Too much work, too much to carry, too much to set up.

Sounds like it’s going to only compound your problems because your going to have two different sources so you’ll have to adjust for both, or a change for one may result in a negative change for the other. On top of that you’ll have different dispersion which will affect your perceived output levels depending on who is listening and from where.

It’s essentially a step backwards in terms of having a consistently dialed in/reproducable tone as it adds variables instead of taking things away.

Only thing you could do to make it even tougher would be to also mic the cabinet so then you’d have direct cab on stage, mic’d cab, frfr on stage, and whatever else your sending to foh lol

You’ve got a good rig, sometimes just need to know when to leave it be

You should add an in-ear rig to this equation...like my bassist does...Full bass rig, monitor in front, IEM's in his ears. Whatever blows your skirt up man. :tearsofjoy:

I've been down every road the AxeFx could lead you. I know my tones sent to FOH are great, so I just use IEM's at this point, especially for travel gigs. If it's an outdoor gig 3 hours away, I'll leave my EV ELX112p's at home and tell the sound company to use 2 of their monitors for stage fill if need be. We are all on IEM's so they usually aren't using all the monitors they bring. If their QSC's sound slightly different than my EV's, the girls dancing in the front don't seem to notice much. :tonguewink:

Back
Top Bottom