Real Analog Overdrive Pedal with AX8

jojo169

Hi guys, currently I've been using AX8 for 4 years and really satisfy with the tone I get. Recently I saw some guys combine real OD pedal with AX8, they put it on the FX Loop. I have bunch OD pedal sitting on my drawer and when I test and compare it to the AX8's drive block I found with little tweak I can get very close to the real one. My question is do you guys here prefer to use real OD pedal instead of fractal's drive block? Is it worth to carry more stuff such as 2-3 OD pedals and 9V power supply for gigging instead if rely on AX8 solely. Please let me know if you guys having some experience with this kind of setup?

Seems silly to me to use extra pedals when you purchased an AX-8 to make life easier. If you like to play around at home that's a different story. Some guitar players are in between modeling and analog, its hard for some cork sniffers to go cold turkey.

To me it seems silly to use analog pedals with an AX-8 unless you just like to have extra stuff or your presets are so full you run out of cpu. How ever it is hard for some analog purists to go cold turkey!

I used a couple of analog pedals with the FX8 with great success. Couldn't quite get the tone and feel I wanted from the Fractal drives. After the Drive block received a big overhaul in one of the Firmware versions, I was able to emulate all of my analog drives and then some. It's been about 4 years since the update and my analog pedals are still sitting in a drawer.

Drives can take a big chunk of CPU which would be the only logical reason to use external drives. That said, analog pedals work great with the AX8, FX8, Axe II or III and FM3; just as they would with a 'real' amp. If there's a couple you really like, have the room and want to use them, do so.

Back
Top Bottom