Real amps with Palmer and Axe FXII vs UA OX

Has anyone used this signal path? Guitar-tube amp-Palmer PDI 03-Axe for cab emulation-daw. If so, do you have any suggestions? Also, has anyone compared it to the Universal Audio OX? Please, let’s not make this a discussion about how I should just use my Axe FXII direct. I do that, but I have a lot of great amps that I want to use as well. I don’t always have the ability to mic a cabinet, so I am looking for options. I already own the Palmer.

I sold my PGA-04 to fund my first Axe-Fx but at the time @Ed DeGenaro was running his real amps through the PGA and then into the loop of the Axe-Fx Ultra and using the CAB block with the Ultra IIRC. That approach works just aces. I personally think the IR technology in the Axe-Fx stuff beats out the static filters that the Palmer has so my recommendation is to run the unfiltered output into your AFII instead of the filtered output. Follow your ears there though.

Most flexible wiring would be: Guitar -> AFII input, AFII loop out -> Amp input, Amp Speaker out -> PDI-03, PDI03 Line Out -> AFII loop return.

Then you can place your real amp anywhere in the AFII's grid and follow it with a CAB block.

Can't offer an opinion on the UA vs. Palmer, sorry. Haven't tried the UA!

Back
Top Bottom