Real amps vs Axe FW 9.02 (new-clip)

I love the axe, but the real amps are still mixed louder/in your face. Love um both great playing. It seems as if the real amp version is mastered and the axe is not

That's what is sounds like to me as well. The demo sounds like it has some mastering done to it.

The guitars on the demo one are less bright, a little thicker in the low mids.

I just messed with the axe-fx with izotope ozone and was able to get it sounding better for me w/ the axe-fx than the real one pretty quickly.

They both sound great though.

Well ! I just changed the 5 guitar tracks without changing eq . That´s actually the only difference.
There is no mastering going on at all. It seems like the guitars are changing the total mix by them selves.

Thomas

One approach would be to use a plug-in like Waves PAZ or some other analyzer on the tracks. Just solo up one of the "real" tracks and grab a read on it, then do the same with the Axe-Fx tracks, then compare the two.

I realize of course that this won't show you the difference in "hair" or any other esoteric guitar terminology, but it may show you frequency differences on screen that you are not really hearing as it all goes down that are making the "real" tracks seem fuller.

Thomas Larsson said:
Well ! I just changed the 5 guitar tracks without changing eq . That´s actually the only difference.
There is no mastering going on at all. It seems like the guitars are changing the total mix by them selves.

Thomas

The bass guitars and drums sure sound different here. The bass appears to have more punch on the tube track. There must be some kind of masking going on with axe-fx tracks if that is the only difference. Kind of odd?

I agree with the comments above; sounds like there is a maximizer or something in the master chain somewhere that is changing the balance. I would also suggest taking a look at the cab you're using in the Axe, as a lot of the tonal differences I'm hearing (brightness and body) could be remedied by using a different cab sim. The second Axe recording is definitely better - do more of whatever you did ;)

The real one is more middy. Is filtered, in a pleasant way. The axefx is more polite, hi-fi. Try increasing the mid in preamp, or reducing the high and low before amp.

Was the real amp recorded with a mic in front of the cab and the Axe-Fx recorded direct? Sounded to me like the real amp was picking up sound bounced off the walls or some reverb that was not in the Axe-Fx recordings, also the real amp recording seem to have more "speaker breakup".

By the way, Nice Chops!!!

Spoons said:
Was the real amp recorded with a mic in front of the cab and the Axe-Fx recorded direct? Sounded to me like the real amp was picking up sound bounced off the walls or some reverb that was not in the Axe-Fx recordings, also the real amp recording seem to have more "speaker breakup".

By the way, Nice Chops!!!

Yes , the amp was miked and the AXE was lined . The impulse is made from the same cab and mike pos.
I don´t think there should be much room sound between those screens and soft roofs and floors.Mayby I´m wrong
but right now the amps sounds better (I think) . I will try again later . It ain´t always easy trying to get realistic sound with artificial stuff.

Thomas

Thomas Larsson said:
Mayby I´m wrong

No, you're not! The real amps have more flesh in my opinion. btw. great playing, nice chops! :geek:

9.0 sounds a bit thicker than 9.02 to me.....maybe I'm wrong here..... :lol:

I can't judge the clips because *all* of the instruments (especially the drums and bass) in the first two tracks sound radically different than they do in the third. Nor are the levels matched. I'm not convinced the guitar tracks are the only variable. The entire 'real amp' mix sounds much better. I don't think this can be attributed soley to the differences in the guitar sound. I'm not buying it. Something else has changed.

Even when I crank the first two mixes above the level of the third, the drums and bass in the third still sound better. Perhaps if you delete the first few bars of guitars in each so the rest of the mix is exposed, we might be able to better judge what is happening.

They are all nice,
The real amps sounded thicker but not ness better
The newest AX clip sounded clear and the Morse lick at 1:42 just killed me.
So
Thanks for the comparision, cool stuff

I'm finding that the AX is so clear that I might have been hiding behind some noise and abberations in my old setup.
scary....

http://www.duaneramelot.com

The clips sound totally different. The bass and kick are WAY more punchy in the real amps clip. There's definitely an EQ difference on the entire mix. Once you mentally strip that away, though, the guitars sound nearly identical.

The comparison is meaningless unless the guitars are the only variable. Clearly, they are not. The difference in the other instruments is as great as the difference in the guitars.

dog... just send a clip of the solo'd guitar tracks both axe and real amp.... no post eq just the tracks... then it will be at least closer to apples to apples. You have to keep all the variables the same to have a proper test

If you really want someone to be able to make a fair comparison, just take one of the tracks from the Amp guitars and one of the tracks from the Axe guitars and post links to them as .wav files just as they are in your recording software.

Don't EQ, normalize, compress, etc., just post them as they exist in your recording. Then you'll know that everyone else is hearing the same source files you are used to hearing while you are recording.

If you aren't recording @ 16/44 you will need to make that one conversion for people to be able to listen to them online, but you shouldn't have to change anything else.

jhuggins said:
dog... just send a clip of the solo'd guitar tracks both axe and real amp.... no post eq just the tracks... then it will be at least closer to apples to apples. You have to keep all the variables the same to have a proper test

I just switched the tracks that´s it . I don´t think that some eq business is going to change the whole feeling of the rythm and solo guitars .Sometimes things has a different basic sound that can´t be altered. For the moment I am saving much time just using the amps . They only have gains and eq-s to tweak .Of course I could post single track´s for somebody to analyze but is feels a litlle "overkill" to me anyway.

GaryRichie said:
If you really want someone to be able to make a fair comparison, just take one of the tracks from the Amp guitars and one of the tracks from the Axe guitars and post links to them as .wav files just as they are in your recording software.

Don't EQ, normalize, compress, etc., just post them as they exist in your recording. Then you'll know that everyone else is hearing the same source files you are used to hearing while you are recording.

If you aren't recording @ 16/44 you will need to make that one conversion for people to be able to listen to them online, but you shouldn't have to change anything else.

I just switched the tracks that´s it . I don´t think that some eq business is going to change the whole feeling of the rythm and solo guitars .Sometimes things has a different basic sound that can´t be altered. For the moment I am saving much time just using the amps . They only have gains and eq-s to tweak .Right now I don´t have the energy and time to make the AXE-sound like my amps ,I have been trying for lots more hours than I have been playing............ Of course I could post single track´s for somebody to analyze but is feels a litlle "overkill" to me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom