Real amp into FM3 for cabs. Levels?

MxLx

No Luck in Rigs & Routing, maybe it'll be more visible here. Please forgive the twin posts.

I have a Friedman JJ Jr, which has an internal load when using one of the specific speaker outs. I want to send that to the FM3 for post effects and cabs. No loadbox needed, but I'm not sure about the levels here - can I run straight from that speaker out to In2 on the FM3, or do I need something to adjust the level before hitting the FM3?

Also, could we just please get a JJ model and save me from all of this? :)

No, you can't do that. The load is engaged only when you unplug the speaker - plug it back in and the load is disengaged. You would need to use the line out but that has a speaker sim which cannot be disabled.

Thanks, but I received this from Dave himself:

"if you don't use the use first jack there will be a load. So if you come out of the other speaker jack to feed the box then you are good. Again have nothing plugged into the use first speaker jack.. Use the other speaker jack to feed your IR box. Thanks Dave"

This was never super clear, but I just recently got that word from the source :)

If you are simply feeding the FM3 with your amp after the power amp then you would have input 1 or input 2 on your FM3 grid. Place the effects after the input and then have an output 1 feed your XLR/FOH. Cabinet before of after effects depending on what you like.

If you are feeding the FM3 and then into the amp it becomes a little more detailed.

Using the FM3 for effects before and after would be a 4 cable type setup. In this case you would have input 1 from your guitar cable >> output 2 (maxed out for unity gain)>>>into amp>>>>from your speaker load out (as described above) back into input 2>>>>then effects and cabinet IR>>>>>output 1 to FOH. The reason I have output 1 and 2 out of order is the XLR. If you have a convertor and do not need XLR then swap 1 and 2 above although don't max output 1 level because it is not setup the same as output 2 for unity gain. You can adjust levels by checking your meters and volumes.

I think I have these listed correctly.

No Luck in Rigs & Routing, maybe it'll be more visible here. Please forgive the twin posts.

I have a Friedman JJ Jr, which has an internal load when using one of the specific speaker outs. I want to send that to the FM3 for post effects and cabs. No loadbox needed, but I'm not sure about the levels here - can I run straight from that speaker out to In2 on the FM3, or do I need something to adjust the level before hitting the FM3?

Also, could we just please get a JJ model and save me from all of this? :)
Are you saying you can use the second speaker jack as a line out if nothing is plugged into the first one? Even hearing that directly from Dave, I’d be hesitant to run a cable directly from the JJ Jr’s speaker out to the FM3’s input. That just sounds like a recipe for frying your FM3. It seems like that’s something that should be mentioned in the manual if true. But it would be nice since the built-in cab sim on the balanced out of the JJ can’t be disabled.

Even hearing that directly from Dave, I’d be hesitant to run a cable directly from the JJ Jr’s speaker out to the FM3’s input. That just sounds like a recipe for frying your FM3.
Yeah, I guess I wasn't too clear in my first post, but this is exactly what I'm trying to figure out - what needs to go between the two?

No idea, but when you try it out please livestream it.. we wanna watch in case your FM3 goes up in smoke :)

Yeah, I guess I wasn't too clear in my first post, but this is exactly what I'm trying to figure out - what needs to go between the two?
I really don't know. Maybe send Dave another email asking specifically what kind of signal comes out of the second speaker jack when nothing is plugged into the first. He's usually great about answering questions. I assume the amp would be fine given the internal load, but unless there's some undocumented functionality that gives you a line level signal out of that second jack you may fry something in the FM3.

Honestly, no matter what Dave says I would err on the side of caution and run the JJ Jr's main speaker out to a load box like the Suhr RL and then send the line out from there to the FM3 for effects and IR. Going from an amp's speaker out into something expecting a line/instrument level signal is not something I'd want to do. Even assuming it worked like Dave implied in the email that you quoted, what if you accidentally leave a speaker cable plugged into that first jack while you still had the FM3 connected to the second?

There was nothing in the manual about this second speaker port magic. You could try the fx send and return using the JJ Jr xlr speaker out which is after the pre and power tubes to see if you like it?

SPEAKER OUT JACKS (2): Plug speaker cabinets here. Set Impedance selector to appropriate position. If using only one cabinet, connect to “USE FIRST” jack.
The JJ-JR has a built-in dummy load in case you want to use the XLR output without having a speaker connected. If you would like to use this option, make sure there are no cables plugged into either speaker jack.
Do not use a speaker jack out into fm3

The second speaker is for a second speaker cab , when your not using speaker cabs you can use the xlr out into an interface that connected to your computer and DAW. Your not going to use the cabs in fm3 for your jj jr . Doesn’t work that way . ( as far as I know) only way to use different IR with your jj jr is to get something like a Universal Audio OX Amp Top Box

I agree with everyone's concerns, that's why I posted - I'm definitely not about to just plug it in and see what happens. I guess I was ultimately just wondering if I could run something like a DI (or whatever) between them and have this routing work. I actually do have a Suhr RL IR that I've been using with it, I was hoping to not overlap on gear if at all possible - the FM3 has a great cab block, seems a waste to not use it :)

Back
Top Bottom