Ready to take the plunge

Cooldrewb

Inspired
Hi,
So I currently own a Digitech iPB-10 pedal running into my PA. I like the ease of use for the iPB-10 but the dynamics are lacking. Anyway, just wanted to ask some questions about the AX8.

1. How does it compare to the AXE FX II?
2. I noticed it only has one flanger but can you get a lot of different flanger settings? I would like to be able to g get VH Flanger sounds if possible.
3. Does it really matter not being able to use two amps at once?
4. How easy is it to use?
5. What do most of you run your AX8's into, PA? Guitar Amps or Computer with Monitor speakers?

Drew

I replaced my Axe FX II with AX8 - no regrets. To be honest, when I A/B the two I did notice slight tonal differences even with identical settings, but they're close enough as to not being a determining factor. The rack versions are definitely better if you expect to spend more time in the studio with these (more input/output ports, easier to adjust, can be racked, more tonal options), but the AX8 is better if you primarily play live - it's one less thing to carry and setup, and still plenty powerful for live shows.

Flanger - yes, more effects blocks are highly customization. You can only use one at a time but options are almost limitless.

Two amps - I've never used two amps at once, so I don't miss it. Someone people might swear by it, but it really depends on the type of music you play. I'm a product of the 80's - so give me a good JCM800 patch and I'm good to go. :)

Ease of use - the front panel is harder to use than the Axe FX II. It's not so bad that it's unusable, but the layout is just weird to be honest and does takes some getting used to. That said the online editor is super easy to use and helps a ton in setting up patches.

Set up - I run it directly into PA whenever possible, but I do have a clean power amp/guitar cab for when I don't have that option. I tap the signal just before the cab block (which is placed at the end of my signal), so I can send the full signal sans cab sim to a guitar cab to simulate the traditional guitar/cab setup. You can also send the signal with cab sim to a power amp and FRFR monitor, but I prefer it this way - it's just what I'm used to.

I replaced my Axe FX II with AX8 - no regrets. To be honest, when I A/B the two I did notice slight tonal differences even with identical settings, but they're close enough as to not being a determining factor. The rack versions are definitely better if you expect to spend more time in the studio with these (more input/output ports, easier to adjust, can be racked, more tonal options), but the AX8 is better if you primarily play live - it's one less thing to carry and setup, and still plenty powerful for live shows.

Flanger - yes, more effects blocks are highly customization. You can only use one at a time but options are almost limitless.

Two amps - I've never used two amps at once, so I don't miss it. Someone people might swear by it, but it really depends on the type of music you play. I'm a product of the 80's - so give me a good JCM800 patch and I'm good to go. :)

Ease of use - the front panel is harder to use than the Axe FX II. It's not so bad that it's unusable, but the layout is just weird to be honest and does takes some getting used to. That said the online editor is super easy to use and helps a ton in setting up patches.

Set up - I run it directly into PA whenever possible, but I do have a clean power amp/guitar cab for when I don't have that option. I tap the signal just before the cab block (which is placed at the end of my signal), so I can send the full signal sans cab sim to a guitar cab to simulate the traditional guitar/cab setup. You can also send the signal with cab sim to a power amp and FRFR monitor, but I prefer it this way - it's just what I'm used to.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the in depth answer. I don’t play in the studio or live, just at home. I just want some of those vintage amps I grew up always wanting. I’m an 70-90’s guy.

I mostly play VH, Zep, and Aerosmith type of stuff. That’s why I asked about the Flanger. I would like get close to those early sounds as best as I can. How is the looper by the way?

Haven't played with the looper too much, so I'll let others comment on that.

But you can definitely get great classic/hard rock type of sounds out of the AX8. You can experiment on your own by selecting the appropriate amp blocks and cab blocks, or buy third party IRs for more cab options. There are also a lot people who post presets that you can check out. But, I would highly recommend checking out Moke's presets (he frequents this board as well):

http://www.custompresets.com/store/c7/'Artist/Song_Specific'_-_'AX8'_Presets.html

In addition to general purpose presets, he has some that are tone matched to specific songs and will sound nearly identical to the recording. I have the Big City Nights one and it's really, really good. I see he has presets for Aerosmith and VH songs as well. You can also take what he has built and reverse engineer it as a learning experience, so you can understand how he is able to do what he did, and modify the presets according to how you like it. For example, I kept the core amp/cab blocks in the preset but change the effect blocks to what I would use, added EQ to fine tune it for specific venues, change the layout so I can tap the signal before the cab sim, and so on.

Check out the preset exchange forum and search for @Danny Danzi VH presets. They will provide you with some really good VH 1&2 sounds.

The looper falls a bit behind the other blocks. It's lacking the ability to be fully controllable via assignable foot switches and also adds a gap to the playback when switching between presets with the looper playback on.

Dual amp blocks are nice if you really need gapless switching between two different amps. The AX8 has X/Y switching for the single amp block but there will always be a small gap switching between X and Y. Might not be of any importance to you, though.

1. How does it compare to the AXE FX II?
2. I noticed it only has one flanger but can you get a lot of different flanger settings? I would like to be able to g get VH Flanger sounds if possible.
3. Does it really matter not being able to use two amps at once?
4. How easy is it to use?
5. What do most of you run your AX8's into, PA? Guitar Amps or Computer with Monitor speakers?

1. It's a lot easier to carry around. :) If there's a sound difference, it's not enough to bother me.
2. Lots of audio/video examples out there. I like this one:
3. I only have one dual amp patch on my II that I miss on the AX8. Ironically, it's a patch that uses two of the same amp set slightly different in order to sound a bit more like the original single amp....
4. The on unit control locations and functions take some getting used to. If you can work on your patches with the computer editor, you'll be fine.
5. So far all my gigs with the AX8 have been direct to PA. I also copy the output to the effects send and hook that to a small monitor so I can supplement my stage volume if the monitor mix is hinky. Having a separate volume control for OUT1 and OUT2 is one of my favorite features. LOL

1. It's way cheaper? :) I never used a Axe FX II but almost bought it in the same situation as you and decided the AX8. Like other's stated it's just better for live use out the box, which is great for this man cave jammer. It has what I need without paying ~$1800 and then needing a MIDI controller on top of it. I only bought it because I am on the waiting list for an AXE III and after having the AX8 now for about a month I don't think I will be even buying the AXE III, I ask how much better can it really sound than 'this'... I always had a vision of a sound that made me happy and the AX8 does it in spades. I saved roughly $1400 not getting the AXE FX II + MIDI controller by getting the AX8 and don't regret my decision one bit!

2. One thing to say about FAS effects is that unlike pedals that give you a few knobs to tweak, you get deeper control of your effects on the FAS Units. Sometimes it leads to analysis paralysis though as you have SO many options. It's true when people say you can get lost in the options... and I don't mean confused, I mean blissfully lost.

3. This was one of my biggest hanging points between them and I haven't even cared since the AX8 sounds so good and like the other poster said I am "also" a child of the 80s so I am very happy with a good high gain single amp. Do I find myself wishing I could play with that option? Not really.

4. There is a learning curve no doubt but I found most of it was just learning the best setup for I/O (input level,output levels etc.) But once you get that as you like and make a few presets you will be on your way. And the beauty is in all the different ways you can lay them out. And don't forget to use the looper to dial in your tones when you first start out... put a looper in the first block hit record, then jam a little, and dial in some tones while it's playing the loop. I'm on that kick right now. New to me but everyone else probably knows this for years LOL.

5. I started out with a Mesa Mark V 25 and found the two combined had too much going on and chose to send back the Mesa. Went to my Boogie 50:50 from early 90s into 4x12 it was a beast. Took the money from the Mark V return, got myself a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors (haven't tried playing into them yet) and a Friedman ASM12. LOVE IT. Will be buying #2 when the wife is over the spending spree I've been on.

This is where it gets interesting with the AX8... tossed the 50:50/4x12 in output 2 via FX Loop that was before the cab block, and output 1 to ASM12 and got a bit of both worlds.

Now I just jam purely with the ASM12 and quite happy with that alone. The above was just too much for the room I jam in :)

Hope that helps.

Lastly I feel the ~$1000 I spent on the AX8 was the best ever made in my life. Not one regret. Was tore between Helix/Kemper/FAS and picked FAS and so happy with it.

I turn that thing and the ASM on and it's instant gratification for me. Not trying to sell you on the ASM btw as the Boogie 50:50 setup would be just fine for my taste too, however the prior is just more fun for me and I'm sure most of the other FRFR type setups will be just as fun.

Last edited:
Hi @Cooldrewb - I'll just comment on @80sMetalDude 's post - I also use the AX8 and the ASM12 and it rocks. I've never once thought that I wasn't playing through an actual amp. The AX8 is the sh** man! Every time I sit down to just play for a few minutes - it turns into hours and it's not time spent tweaking to find a good sound - it's actual play time. Some stuff to learn of course but to get a sound that you like, it's not hard at all.

Hi @Cooldrewb - I'll just comment on @80sMetalDude 's post - I also use the AX8 and the ASM12 and it rocks. I've never once thought that I wasn't playing through an actual amp. The AX8 is the sh** man! Every time I sit down to just play for a few minutes - it turns into hours and it's not time spent tweaking to find a good sound - it's actual play time. Some stuff to learn of course but to get a sound that you like, it's not hard at all.

Back
Top Bottom