Ready to purchase III, but knowing my luck, a MK2 would probably show up soon...

Got my II MK1 in 2011. Was on the waitlist within 3 hours of it being announced. I was 100% satisfied with it until selling it to purchasing the III last year. Never once ran into a single good reason to upgrade to a MK2 or XL.

Regardless, I seriously doubt the III is gonna have an update anytime soon.

I don't think you have anything to worry about and with the constant updates it just gets better and better.

Realistically what more would you want from it that it can't already give you?

Buy one!

I've debated the same thing along with considering waiting for something like a FM9. However, I just went ahead and ordered an Axe III. That combined with a FC12 will be as much as I'll need for a LONG time. I adore my Axe II XL+ and can't wait for the III.

The AxeFX III has been the product that I’ve least feared in terms of obsolescence in a long time. Not just audio gear either. I’m also comforted that there’s a lot of cross over with replacements that do come along. It’s incremental rather than a completely new system.

For example, I’d trade mine for more multi-channel io (AVB, Dante). If that actually transpired, I’d bet the resale in the III’s would be great because the system would be essentially the same. I think that’s why II’s are still in demand. Yeah, AX8 is having a rough ride right now... but when the dust settles, I think it will do ok as well.

I moved from II to Mk2 to XL without losing much of any money, because I was willing to sell internationally. If you're buying in the US and you're willing to ship overseas, you'll find buyers happy to pay new US prices for a used "last year's model", because the international prices are so high by comparison.

Knowing my luck with purchases like this, I get it and then 1 month later a MK2 version comes out.

I'm curious, for those who got the original Axe FX 2 MK1, and stuck with it till the very end. Was the tone the exact same? From what I read, the original one was supported up to the very end with latest firmware, and it was all the same operating system, majority of the differences in later models being more I/O and more memory for presets?

I'm pretty sure I have nothing to worry about since Fractal has excellent support of their products, but I'd like to hear from original owners.
Never regretted my MK1, the newer versions were more expensive also..

The changes across hardware revs in the same generation of AxeFx have never been regret inducing in scope. IMHO.

They have always tracked FW updates within the generation which is the big ticket. The II series Mk1 and 2 even got the final updates when it required major effort to fit them toward the end.

The three is such big leap I am not expecting new major flagship revisions for quite some time. Really it was just released and as others have noted there are no glaring hardware issues to drive an incremental change.

I got my Axe-II in 2010. To me it was no big deal watching the mk2, xl and xl+ come out later on. Same platform, same tones, nothing so tempting that I felt like I was missing out. It's anyone's guess what comes next though, or when.

I think a lot of people would like to see an Axe-III Mk2 condensed down to 2U rack height. I know a few people held off stepping up to the III just because it was bigger 3U rackspace.

Love my FX III but yes I do wish it were 2U rack item because that's all the space I have, or could make, available in my 30U rack. so my III sits on top of PC work desk for now (with extra long, aka messy, audio, MIDI, and CC pedal cabling running to/from actual rack).

Love is blind after all (I guess- ;) ).

Love my FX III but yes I do wish it were 2U rack item because that's all the space I have, or could make, available in my 30U rack.

I have just the solution for you! Alternatively, can you not just add a...compressor...block! ;)

giphy.gif

Strange how some people apparently think that when a successor of a product comes out the gear they have, will immediately become obsolete, less desirable, sound worse etc. Following this logic you will never be able to purchase anything because the next successor is just around the corner, waiting for you to buy the predecessor and then pop out with the successor just to piss you off and deem your predecessor a worthless piece of shit and you should take care and not let yourself be seen in public with it.

Well with a high degree of certainty I can predict that a successor will probably be coming sometime SOON.

I remember it was like a month before the 3 came out people on here were saying there’s no way a new one could come out soon. Lol

FAS pricing is designed to remove the deliberation process for you. ~2k$ is less than any one good tube head, and you get everything available now plus everything available in the future. Worst case you can eBay it for a couple hundred less than you paid for it in two years and get the new one. Buy it!

Back
Top Bottom