Ready to buy the Axe-Fx III - Do I need anything else?

Concerning the usage of the AFX3 as an audio interface: this is a really good solution. the A/D/A Dyn is about 115 dB with is a very good tech value.
I used it as an interface for a time and it was running very nicely with a 3ms/3ms latency with Reaper on my PC (win10 i7 8700k). I can play Backking tracks or vsti from reaper and no pb, no glitch.

As these gears are my toys (I know, 54' old, but still need toys !), I had a XR18 interface but with no digital IN (used asio4all to mix AFX3+XR18 INs) and the XR18 tech spec were not as good as the AFX3. So I moved to a Motu 828es with high end specs, not to loose the awesome dynamic of the AFX3, and plug it into the 828es with S/PDIF. It is of course great, with a perfect control of the AFX3 OUT levels for the PA MAtric GM50 or the Eris E5 (the more I played the more appreciate as they break-in, for small monitors...). Because, as we know, to have the unity gain level with AFX2 or AFX3 you need to have the Level knob to about 3 O'clock => very loud, so have to compensate with level from Axe edit (OUt block) or with a external midi volume pedal.
Of course with digital OUT from AFX3 in the digital IN of the audio interface, I can drive easely the volume levels with the right unity gain from the AFX3.

About the external foot controller I have the berhinger FCB1010 + Eurekaprom2 from my previous AFX2.
I can drive the essentials from the AFX3 for 90$... of course not the same as the FAS FC... but not the same price. And I'm not playing live show, jyst amateur in my homestudio.

+1 on Eris for studio monitors. I have E5s and they do a good job.

+1 for expression pedals, I have two cheaper ones from eBay that work fine... nektar and maudio from memory.

As for foot controller, it’s handy to switch scenes when jamming along with a track. Anything that sends Midi CC will do, or if you are keen/inclined you can build your own fairly easily, there’s even an AxeFX3 arduino library! :)

Reactions: DLW
hi dlw and an early welcome!

1/ nothing else required except maybe a foot controller - very useful to have. Also, an expression pedal is great so you can choose what type of wah pedal you want, and for volume swells etc.

2/ in your position, I’d be looking at the best studio monitors you can afford.

i reckon you’ll have no amps or cabs in a couple of years ;-)

thanks
pauly
I totally agree: a foot controller is not a must have but nice to have!
I would recommend at least 1 expression pedal to control volume and
finally get a pair Adam Studio monitors and you are ready to rock!

I made the switch back in March. Best thing I ever did.

As others have said, FRFR or studio monitors is the way to go. A really good set of studio quality headphones will come in handy also. I'm just using a set of Yamaha HS7's and they get the job done.

I haven't bought anything extra other than I purchased two expression pedals at the time I bought the Axe III. I didn't think I'd need the FC for home use but I find myself really wanting one now. I'll be watching for Black Friday specials. The ease of programming the expression pedals has me excited for the FC. Very cool.

I haven't purchased any third party IRs or even gotten the Austin Buddy pack everybody raves about yet. Just what comes with it has kept me busy (and happy) so far.

Worth noting this is my first modeling amp. I was always a Mesa fanatic but this thing is just too much fun. This forum is a tremendous resource for learning how to use it and also check out Leon Todd's Youtube channel which is also a great resource for Axe III info.

Yes. The technical specs are floating around somewhere, but I remember everything was top of the line.

Thanks. I have a slightly older 2i4 right now, no issues with it. I may keep it for being able to mobile record scratch tracks but we shall see.

So a no on my Harbinger 15’ powered monitors I picked up off Craigslist for $80. Just kidding!

I did a lot of looking on the monitors etc. mentioned yesterday. Will keep looking and learning and pricing.

Thinking of letting go my CAE and BBE wah pedals and picking up Fractal or other brands. Saw pictures of Mission brand ones in posted pics here.

?.........Any of these pedals way better for the buck or just get one any one and use it?

Maybe I will get like they do on that TV show Hoarders when then talk a good talk about letting stuff go until the dumpster gets dropped of and they start loosing their sh*t. Lol. Its time to thin the heard and I already have a plan just seeing if I need to keep a few pedals. Sounds like I really do not need a wah if I get an expression pedal.

?.......Is there anything inside the AXE 3 like a cocked wah like a Dunlop Q zone / Dunlop KFK pedal. Same pedal different graphics.

Thanks for all the awesome and useful info!

All the wah models can be tweaked considerably. Modify them to your hearts content. Along with everything else.

As for which pedals, I got two of the larger ones they sell on the Fractal site but I plan on getting one of the spring loaded mission pedals as well to be a full time wah. I like that they look like the real deal and I like the spring loaded option. Something with a toe switch is tempting to make it behave just like a Cry Baby but I don't want the extra cable.

So a no on my Harbinger 15’ powered monitors I picked up off Craigslist for $80. Just kidding!

I did a lot of looking on the monitors etc. mentioned yesterday. Will keep looking and learning and pricing.

Thinking of letting go my CAE and BBE wah pedals and picking up Fractal or other brands. Saw pictures of Mission brand ones in posted pics here.

?.........Any of these pedals way better for the buck or just get one any one and use it?

Maybe I will get like they do on that TV show Hoarders when then talk a good talk about letting stuff go until the dumpster gets dropped of and they start loosing their sh*t. Lol. Its time to thin the heard and I already have a plan just seeing if I need to keep a few pedals. Sounds like I really do not need a wah if I get an expression pedal.

?.......Is there anything inside the AXE 3 like a cocked wah like a Dunlop Q zone / Dunlop KFK pedal. Same pedal different graphics.

Thanks for all the awesome and useful info!
the wahs are great on the III. you can use controllers and LFOs, etc, to do cocked wah fx as well as your expression pedals (make sure whatever brand u choose, it must be one with a TRS cable.)

sorry to hijack this thread. Im currently using a scarlett 6i6 audio interface. I have it to monitor both backing tracks from my laptop and AX8 which I formerly own. Im soon to be an Axe III owner (yippee!) and am wondering if I would still need the scarlett for the same purpose or I could using still jam along with backing track from my laptop through Axe III as my AI. Greatly appreciate you advice guys!

You can use the Axe III in place of your Scarlett. When connected via USB and you have the Axe III setup, simply select the Axe III as the audio source on your laptop. The Axe-Fx III is a full-blown audio interface, information about the interface features are found in the manual.

If you want to record vocals bare in mind the AF3 doesn't have any Mic pre's so integrating it with another interface that does, makes it a more complete solution.

The Axe III is a bit of a gateway drug. You'll need more.

Quality monitors are key. Depending on your situation, a footpedal will help you be flexible.

IMO depending on your level of research/understanding of creating tones, consider some of the excellent preset makers here (Austin Buddy seems to be the overall leader with paid presets, but Burgs and others have outstanding presets (free) too.) An oft repeated lament is that new users are not able to get 'good tones', when this is really about learning what works for you and how to get there.

Do people ever use sub woofers with the AXE? Not sure if those frequency are even used or needed with guitar?

I have an Adam Sub7 teamed up with my A7X's. I definitely don't 'need' it for the Axe3 but it's worth it for the fun factor. I only have it dialled in for a small amount of low end but I reckon it creates the genuine 4x12 thump feel in the room. So to answer your question, no, I don't think you 'need' it.

Thanks!
Not sure if its ok to ask this or not but has it ever been mentioned which model. FR/FR system or studio monitors were used with the AXE system with testing the amp models and everything.

It was just something I just wondered if that info was ever posted. Thinking that many would work great but what about the ones that were used in R & D? Maybe many models to get a broad view. Probably something I could not afford anyway. Lol. Just curious.

Personally I would recommend:

• Axe FX 3 (of course)
  • FC controller (6 is good, 12 is better)
  • Expression pedal (if you use them)
  • Studio monitors (Adam A7X are awesome or T7V on a budget)
  • Audio interface (Apollo Twin is awesome or Focusrite Scarlett on a budget)
  • Stand/rack of the Axe (I found one for $35 on Amazon that goes under my desk)
  • Cables

Thanks!
Not sure if its ok to ask this or not but has it ever been mentioned which model. FR/FR system or studio monitors were used with the AXE system with testing the amp models and everything.

It was just something I just wondered if that info was ever posted. Thinking that many would work great but what about the ones that were used in R & D? Maybe many models to get a broad view. Probably something I could not afford anyway. Lol. Just curious.
There has been mention of a lot of monitors that are (or were) used at Fractal, specifically Presonis Eris but also Yamaha HS8, JBL, and Friedman. Mr. Chase has said he personally uses Event Opals. Fractal was using Meyer Sound and Eastern Audio Works at AxeFest this year for testing and playing the FM3. And there was also talk of some really expensive Dynaudio monitors that were being used or tested at one point.

Back
Top Bottom