Ready for the Amp Show

So Cliff, do you think the AX8 will handle the next major firmwares or should we view it as a G3 unit that won't improve significantly after Quantum ?

Last edited:
Depends on the price... After all, the last firmwares are already very convincing, so I wonder what he means by "It is not an Axe-Fx", since DSPs are slower (but how much).

Cliff did say in the Quantum FW release thread that he was porting the code to the AX8. I don't have time to look it up now, but I'm fairly certain that was the thread where I read it.

Depends on the price... After all, the last firmwares are already very convincing, so I wonder what he means by "It is not an Axe-Fx", since DSPs are slower (but how much).

It's simply a scaled down unit ! (therefore lower priced! according to previous threads comparable to FX8 pricing)Won't have the full capabilities of a flagship Ax Fx ! Updates will apply to it the same as the others !! Pretty much all these questions have been answered in a couple other AX8 threads. Searce engine is your friend .

@RDH Wow, clam down. You're reacting as if it was well known. The search function is broken (at least for me) and I didn't find the answer in the main AX8 thread. Don't forget it's Cliff's forum, I am a consumer and you are nobody to interfere between us. It's not up to you to decide if my question is unwelcome, and lecture me. If you want to help, feel free to post a link.

I'd much rather see R&D money spent on sound quality and functionality than design aesthetics. No doubt, Helix has a slick interface but the really important things for a gigging musician are the sound quality and reliability. Helix will look fantastic for a lot of people living in their mom's basement. ;)
I have no doubt that the AX8 will be a great product for Fractal. Kemper users will hate on it. Amplifire fans will hate on it. Plenty of AX8s will be played by people living in their mom's basement.
It's official; when I retire from my day job, I'm going to open a bar called: Mom's Basement.

Seen the post on pedals/switches: I know switches, hoping it also does Amp Switching? Want an FX8 to use with my amp, but sometimes like to go with the board/AxeFX only. Hoping the AX8 will do both.

Does anyone know if this will have some midi capability? I'm fairly sure fractal knows this would grab current axe users but haven't read anything official on that yet.

Does anyone know if this will have some midi capability? I'm fairly sure fractal knows this would grab current axe users but haven't read anything official on that yet.

The back panel shows Midi In/Out and Thru connections.

I keep hearing all the comparisons and questions about the Helix in these types of threads and the biggest topic seems to be the user interface. That user interface was clearly not cheap to develop and it wouldn't be cheap to manufacture....however the million dollar question is how much does that interface add to the sound.

I'd be willing to bet none.

I don't buy any of this stuff to stare at, I buy this stuff to hear it. The other thing is that if you want a pretty interface then just use one of the apps like AxeEdit. It doesn't get much better than that. You shouldn't be dialing in presets and patches during a gig anyway.

My comments are more directed at the difference in user interface during a gig. That's very important to me.

Seen the post on pedals/switches: I know switches, hoping it also does Amp Switching? Want an FX8 to use with my amp, but sometimes like to go with the board/AxeFX only. Hoping the AX8 will do both.

Add a midi interface that can change the channels on your amp? No relay out on the AX8.

Not only that, the other question is how much CPU is required to drive such an interface?

I could be wrong, but I thought I had read a post from a Line 6 rep on another forum saying that a substantial amount of the CPU is dedicated just to driving the UI. I know I would rather have more CPU dedicated to producing higher quality sounds.

I don't remember reading that anywhere.

Midi in/out on the rear panel. Check out the photo earlier in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom