Read this if you are not happy with the way the AxeFXII sounds/feels/works right now

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
EDIT: Wow. OK, I suppose that I should probably not post while on pain killers. This worries the crap out of me because in my mind it makes perfect sense. :mrgreen

Basically I'm just saying that if it sounds fizzy to you or one of the amp models isn't exactly how you want it or your favorite amp isn't in there or your secret parameter is missing after a firmware update that you shouldn't get all stressed about it. He's more likely than not to fix it. If you like it right now he's going to somehow make it better. I've seen it.

EDIT #2: I see where the misunderstandings came from...I checked in this morning at work and the question mark is missing on smaller monitors. It's a question, not a declaration on my part. I'm thrilled to death with the AxeFXII.

Just remember one thing; the AxeFXII is not in its final form yet.
Those who owned the standard or ultra for a while can probably relate to this more, but those first time FAS owners that haven't dealt with this company probably aren't used to development and improvement continuing long after the company has already gotten their money. Its a unique experience to have the guy who owns the company and designs the product listen to his customers this transparently and works to try to meet their needs so quickly. I'm also sure that there are a lot of people who have had less than great success stories with waiting for updates and bug fixes, patches, etc with other companies....kind of like the check is in the mail thing. Its a trust issue and being burned by company after company in the past is going to make anyone leery.

Some people aren't going to want to be part of the process that provides feedback on a product that they spent this much money on and are going to want something that is 'complete' and ready to use out of the box. There are two ways of looking at it, either you can buy something and get what you get and learn to like it or you can look at it as an opportunity to have some sort of voice in the direction of the final product. I've been a part of both camps and I personally prefer this one. Its not for everyone.

Doesn't mean that you are always going to get what you want either, I've been trying to get a bacon slicer added for years and Cliff hasn't done it yet. Feel a little slighted on that one.

All I'm saying is that if the AxeFXII is coming up short of your initial expectations or there is something that doesn't sound quite right remember that we just had a major update in FW v5 within the last month and that we've had a few updates since then that addressed specific bugs. He's working on adding profiling to the AxeFXII as we speak. Who knows what he's going to do after that or how it will affect the sound or feel or if it will cure world hunger. It's a continuous process of development and almost like a living organism in that regard and its going to continue to evolve.

My point here? Try to keep all of that in mind and try not to get too up or too down about anything. I do want to qualify all of this with saying that I think that Cliff has taken everything that he learned while developing the first generation products and that we're a lot farther along in terms of progress than the first year of the original. it's not going to be as long a journey but we still have some road ahead of us.

Try to enjoy being a part of the trip if you can. You might see some cool stuff along the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Just remember one thing; the AxeFXII is not in its final form yet.

Those who owned the standard or ultra for a while can probably relate to this more, but those first time FAS owners that haven't dealt with this company probably aren't used to development and improvement continuing long after the company has already gotten their money. Its a unique experience to have the guy who owns the company and designs the product listen to his customers this transparently and works to try to meet their needs so quickly. I'm also sure that there are a lot of people who have had less than great success stories with waiting for updates and bug fixes, patches, etc with other companies....kind of like the check is in the mail thing. Its a trust issue and being burned by company after company in the past is going to make anyone leery.

Some people aren't going to want to be part of the process that provides feedback on a product that they spent this much money on and are going to want something that is 'complete' and ready to use out of the box. There are two ways of looking at it, either you can buy something and get what you get and learn to like it or you can look at it as an opportunity to have some sort of voice in the direction of the final product. I've been a part of both camps and I personally prefer this one. Its not for everyone.

Doesn't mean that you are always going to get what you want either, I've been trying to get a bacon slicer added for years and Cliff hasn't done it yet. Feel a little slighted on that one.

All I'm saying is that if the AxeFXII is coming up short of your initial expectations or there is something that doesn't sound quite right remember that we just had a major update in FW v5 within the last month and that we've had a few updates since then that addressed specific bugs. He's working on adding profiling to the AxeFXII as we speak. Who knows what he's going to do after that or how it will affect the sound or feel or if it will cure world hunger. It's a continuous process of development and almost like a living organism in that regard and its going to continue to evolve.

My point here? Try to keep all of that in mind and try not to get too up or too down about anything. I do want to qualify all of this with saying that I think that Cliff has taken everything that he learned while developing the first generation products and that we're a lot farther along in terms of progress than the first year of the original. it's not going to be as long a journey but we still have some road ahead of us.

Try to enjoy being a part of the trip if you can. You might see some cool stuff along the way.

I've got to be honest, this doesn't strike me as very encouraging news for the new unit I am scheduled to receive in two days.
I was more signing in in hopes of finding something to get me fired up, not cause me to doubt my decision to purchase this unit.
Especially for the money I paid for it; I am fully expecting it to meet my initial expectations when it arrives...

Last edited:
"I, for one, especially for the money I paid for it, am fully expecting it to meet my initial expectations..."

Don't worry dude. If you're like most of us, you'll be over the moon.

YMMV yadda yadda

V

Especially for the money I paid for it; I am fully expecting it to meet my initial expectations when it arrives...

Yeah but the good thing is if it doesn't meet your expectations, you can simply return it. No harm no foul.

Getting married is very expensive, you don't know if it will meet your expectations, and it is a lot more complicated to "just return her".

Last edited:
The product is "over the moon"; however, it's human nature to now shoot for Pluto ....

"I, for one, especially for the money I paid for it, am fully expecting it to meet my initial expectations..."

Don't worry dude. If you're like most of us, you'll be over the moon.

YMMV yadda yadda

V

I thought the axe fx ultra was the best music gear I ever bought. I was wrong.

The axe fx II is the best thing I ever bought!! Zero complaints here.

I love it too. And its only been getting better and better since firmware 1. Just when you think it can't get any sweeter... It does!!! I've never had this with any other product in the last 19 years of jamming and recording

All I'm saying is that if the AxeFXII is coming up short of your initial expectations...

It's funny reading this, because just this morning I was having exactly the opposite experience.

I realize now that I have fully embraced selling off half my tube amps (there's a couple that are keepers).

I gotta say, it seems like every time I sit down and play through the Axe I find some other tone to fall in love with.

Some people aren't going to want to be part of the process that provides feedback on a product that they spent this much money on and are going to want something that is 'complete' and ready to use out of the box.

Anyone who buys an Axe has a week to figure out if they like it. Maybe I'm not aware of the other companies that do this, but I'm guessing it's pretty rare. If you keep it after the trial period, you're basically accepting its state of completeness for better or worse. That said, given what the Axe can potentially replace - the price point is pretty remarkable. Heck, even if it replaces my Shiva (which it probably will) then the fact that it comes with reverb, effects, speaker cabinets (virtual though they are), an audio interface et cetera is a big fat bonus. (a loud fan, a rigid sampling rate, the (somewhat frequent) firmware transition hassle, and lack of a bacon slicer et cetera *for me* are not going to keep me from enjoying the tone - which is primary) Maybe it's just that I'm "old" but the fact that I can conjure up some sick tones from the Axe constitutes about 99.999% of its value.

It's been a good year for me with the Axe (first the Ultra, now the II) and my state of mind regarding its potential has been nothing short of a personal revolution.

Anyway, my 2 cents after inflation; probably worth nothing - but there you go.

I've got to be honest, this doesn't strike me as very encouraging news for the new unit I am scheduled to receive in two days.
I was more signing in in hopes of finding something to get me fired up, not cause me to doubt my decision to purchase this unit.

I bought an Ultra in March of last year and was amazed... bought AxeII in December and still amazed. 40 years on tube amps and I haven't looked back once.

I was a standard user for almost 2 years and upgraded to the II a couple months ago. I can honestly say, I get all tingly inside EVERY time I turn it on (which is every day :) ). I am so ridiculously satisfied with all my tones. I'm excited about the new features that are coming just because I love to tweak and explore, but if it never changed again, I'm completely satisfied. Low volume, high volume, clean, dirty and everything in between - just freakin awesome. The second I start playing and I go into the zone, all the worlds troubles around me simply disappear :mrgreen

With any piece of gear you can usually find just as many folks that think its grand and just as many that think it stinks. Online even more vocal minorities get the say :)

Just listen for yourself and evaluate if it does what you need. That really is all a piece of gear is for anyway.

It's something for you to use to make people weep during your extended Marshall lead on the ballads... and make people's clothes fall off during your big LA panned delay solo on the Def Leppard covers... :)

Cheers,
Richard

I think that this thread is a bit exaggerated, but subtlety accurate.
I got mine in November and am still entirely "Fired Up". There will always be negative people like "Thesphincts" and a few of the others recently who constantly drivel and start a contagious cancer in our community. Ignore them and stay on target with what you want. I find myself excited to find the next treasure every time I go into the studio now. I usually end up in there for 3 to 4 hours. Better money than a season ticket.

Yeah but the good thing is if it doesn't meet your expectations, you can simply return it. No harm no foul.

Getting married is very expensive, you don't know if it will meet your expectations, and it is a lot more complicated to "just return her".

It don't hafta bee. But why get married in the first place? Follow the gear example here, in life.

Now. Those who are used to, and who still use, Windows OS should be used to this. I'm not comparing the quality of products, mindc, just saying this is largely how things happen now, rather than 'complete' lab testing before release. While I understand and identify with the sentiment of wanting [insert here] to be killer out da box, be glad you're actually involved in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy right now with the AxeFXII. But I was extremely happy with the Ultra when I got it. Then I was frickin' completely wetting myself when v11 came out for it. Then I went into a deep depression after I sold it and got on the wait list. Then I got the AxeFXII and was amazed by it. Then a new firmware update came out, then the next and then the most recent one to date.

All I'm saying is that if you don't feel like you've hit that point you are looking for that it isn't a done deal. Even better than that though is if you are thrilled to death don't forget to pack a fresh pair of underwear....there's going to be a few moments where you crap yourself and the bar is raised even higher.

Just makes me wonder how far the Axe II updates will go? FW 11 (just like the Ultra) and then up to the Axe III? Hope the updates for the Axe II will continue for a few years though.

TheSphincts just commented on the amount of problems some users have been having lately.
I love my axe II , best guitar sound of my life . I've never had an issue with mine . But if an axe II screen stops working , I'm sorry that's a big deal. It seems to me that senior members with fully functional axeII's think it isn't.
$2500 is not cheap, and to spend that money on something that isn't fully functional ,is in my opnion ,unacceptable .

keepmynameoutchamoufkerr

My take is that the Axe-FX II is cutting edge state of the art modeling that is top in class and delivers - in SPADES - on what it promises.

I do not understand nor fathom the OP; this box is not for everyone and is more a 'creation station' and 'blank palette' for guitarists than a 'plug n play' jukebox that makes pop tarts. ;) :D

Seriously, this box is just not for everyone. For the one's that 'get' the box and understand it with a method and goal in mind; it's totally everything you can imagine it to be.

IMHO, YMMV.

Just makes me wonder how far the Axe II updates will go? FW 11 (just like the Ultra) and then up to the Axe III? Hope the updates for the Axe II will continue for a few years though.
I've thought about it a little bit, but I'm not losing sleep worrying. I'd speculate that the life cycle will depend a lot on the development of a more powerful low latency DSP. As it stands right now the TigerSHARC is still the best processor for his code and he was able to improve performance by splitting up the chores between two chips. I don't think that adding another one would scale the same way based on my limited knowledge of what's going on under the hood.

Back
Top Bottom