1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Read The Manual

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Reviews' started by Johnny_uk, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Johnny_uk

Johnny_uk
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I have never been one to read the manual, mainly because excitement has got the better of me and I have just literally dived in and turned every basic dial till I have got a reasonable sound, but thats all it has ever been just a good sound. Then I sat down and started to read the Manual because I really wanted to re-create my old 70's Marshall 100w Super Lead tone. Why oh why did I not do this years ago ??? The difference has been phenomenal. I have now gone from a good sound to amazing. Just a few tweaks here and there in the advanced settings has really turned things around.
    Now I understand why people on the forum advise you to read the Manual. I'm now reading it again and when I have finished I will read again and perhaps again

2. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

yup. it's written and included for that exactly :)

Johnny_uk likes this.
  3. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Always. Period. End of story.

So many posts on this forum would just not exist if users would simply RTFM :)

∞Fractals, Cowmilker5, Larz and 4 others like this.
  4. NeoSound

NeoSound
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I suppose we should start asking for directions when driving also!? :p

5. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Pffft!

That's what Waze is for!

6. Keybi

Keybi
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

There is a manual ? :eek:

7. Conley Shepherd

Conley Shepherd
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

been in it for a few days, really good info in it. I sometimes have to read a certain section over and over to have it make sense, but eventually it does when I put that into practice. I look forward to more reading. :)

Johnny_uk likes this.
  8. Johnny_uk

Johnny_uk
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I'm on my second read now. I seem to spend more time reading the manual then using the Axe. Like you I look forward to reading and putting things into practice.....never thought it could become so addictive. I suppose I should be a mine of information now, but trust me when I say I have a long way to go.

Conley Shepherd likes this.
  9. axedude

axedude
    Expand Collapse
    New here

As a brand new AXE FX III Owner I have read the manual 3 or 4 times already. It's helpful is os many ways, so I certainly recommend reading it.

BUT, with that said, there are many of the common questions in these forums that are not easily understood in the manual. Some of the concepts in the manual are not written very clearly in my own opinion. Grasping things like scenes and global blocks are challenging and commonly misundertood. Although the manual covers these I think there is a better way to cover these using more real world examples. Especially for those like me that learn faster with visual examples ! It is what it is.

Maybe there needs to be more detailed examples from FAS to outline these and how in various situtions these would be applied in the real world. Just sayin'

No offense to Cliff and compnay but with such a great product and a high price to match, there should be a section in support with visual examples of rig set ups and different scenarios as posted in the forums or just commonly used applications.!

Daveis, Johnny_uk and Conley Shepherd like this.
  10. #10 Johnny_uk, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Johnny_uk

Johnny_uk
    Expand Collapse
    New here

For me reading the manual and understanding basic concepts etc seemed fairly straight forward although I must confess to reading once or twice to fully grasp the meaning. This led on to modifiers and more advanced settings that I felt were again fairly straight forward. I can understand and appreciate that not everyone is good looking and intelligent as me....hehehe, seriously everyone is different in how they approach a subject and there is no right or wrong way.

I thought Fractal had clearly demonstrated in the Manual a good visual representation of various rig setups or did I misunderstand what you were saying? Always room for improvement in any Manual.

Having said all that I think its a good ideas of yours to have a dedicated section in support (do you mean main support page or the forum).

Perhaps in the Forum we could have a dedicated section showing users videos demonstrating a learning action, or any other visual representation, as opposed to videos being all over the place. There was recently a really good video demonstrating floor reflection modelling to cabinet block. I would have to hunt around to find it now. There are of course a lot of learning Videos online!

It would be interesting to gain input (pardon the pun) from others

11. negativefx

negativefx
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I work for a software company that releases detailed manuals on a weekly basis. At least in my area of the product, 80% of my support tickets from customers would be eliminated if they would simply read *the first chapter* of the manual. Spend 10% of budget on technical documentation, 20% on support tickets. :/

We created ~15 minutes of videos for the first chapter assuming that text was the culprit. The videos have less than 200 hits combined in 2 years. There are almost a half million users in my system.