ReactOS - Anyone tried it on a Music App PC?

jesussaddle

Power User
Sorry for rambling. Please see link regarding ReactOS at the bottom. I was not aware of this OS option, but now that I am I would like to know if anyone has tried it.

Why?

Apparently Windows decided to get MUCH MUCH MORE "aggressive" in updating PCs. For more than a year I managed to keep my Windows 10 Home PC, which usually is offline and not around viruses, from being updated. I set Windows Update to Disabled, and this did the trick.

From what I've observed recently, as of the past couple of days (maybe building for a month or two), Windows now turns your update setting from "Disabled" to "On", checking every few hours.

It finally got me. I got the timer window, saying I had 15 minutes to close programs because it was going to begin its reboot process. Needless to say after the update a number of things were not working, were wrecked (for one thing mouse behavior (gaming mouse) when loading the system, Start menu edits are all gone for another (hours of work and thought), possibly generally slower load times of web pages for one of my browsers...and I've only been up in the new system for an hour, so there may be other consequences.

The point is I have to invest hundreds of hours to install my hundreds of audio plugins and drivers, multi-media drivers for cameras, etc, etc. So I am not in favor of the potential of a system that degrades in performance or worse yet is at risk of not functioning. This is why it is beyond me why Microsoft thinks users with my pattern of use would be okay with forced updates when they are known to sometimes break computers, and at best need to be scheduled - not forced at unforeseen times when a project is underway for a client.

https://www.reactos.org/joining/faqs

Regarding preventing updates on Windows 10 machines, the only option now apparently is this:

http://n4networks.in/

I remember looking into ReactOS when I was still running Linux over a decade ago. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it’s still in undeveloped alpha status. It’s a clean-room-style clone of the old Windows NT kernel and reverse engineered Win32 APIs, which has got to be a monumental task.

Not recommended at all for DAW or studio work, or any work really. It’s alpha. Testing only.

Updates are a requirement in today’s connected equipment. No updates = pwned machine. If it’s an airgapped/disconnected machine in the studio that’s frozen in time, that’s another story.

Back
Top Bottom