Re: NOISE ISSUE - audio clip included -UPDATE # 2

This is with the guitar volume knob all the way off: http://www.basstraps.net/2noise04142010.mp3

In this clip, I turned the guitar toward the Axe Fx and away - and heard no difference. In the previous clip I was turning toward the Axe Fx and away, and the sound got louder each time I faced the Axe Fx. Also, in this clip I had to turn up my DAW's Master Fader quite a bit to get the volume you hear -

I've tried this with several guitars, all with the same results.

I hope someone tries the patch I posted as well.

Not tried your patch yet, but I´ve got the same noise, when the noise gate (layout menu) is on a critical adjustment, when the signal tries to get through, the gate suppresses it. It´s like a cooking sound or a defective amptube :cool: . For me it´s not easy to adjust the gate in a way the tone is not killed but all highgain noise is absorbed. Maybe it´s the same problem at you. Nobbi.

I tried the patch: no noise. Must be something in the environment.

Does the noise still occur if you disconnect the guitar (leave the cable plugged in)?

On another note: man, that's some serious noise gating, I could not play that way. An,d why do you have the amp, the cab and the GEQ panned so much to the right?

yek: It is but one patch I use for recording a song, and I quad track guitars; hence - right side (for this particular patch)

This patch is gated (that much) because the noise is overwhelming - hence this post/ thread.

I definitely have "noise" without the cord in the guitar, but it is not the same noise.

any compact florescent bulbs in the room or adjacent rooms? I had to take them out of my music room, and if they are on in the other room it makes a horrendous buzzing... just a thought.

dpeterson said:
any compact florescent bulbs in the room or adjacent rooms? I had to take them out of my music room, and if they are on in the other room it makes a horrendous buzzing... just a thought.

Nope, we try to keep products made with mercury out of the house :)
I saw that you had this issue in the other thread, and that the removal of such corrected it for you. That's great; what a relief, eh?

Are you using the Axe-FX near your computer? If so are you also using a wireless mouse? I get some noticable noise from my wireless mouse. Just a thought.

-Ken

have you tried using your setup in another room, or if possible, completely different house/area?

it sounds like interference coming through the pickups to me...

one time a guy came into my store. he had just bought a tele from us, but said that it was noisy, like a metronome or a ticking sound. i didn't believe it, but when he played, everyone could hear it. he thought there was a metronome buried in the guitar! i asked him if he tried different amps, different rooms, outlets, everything. he said the sound was always there.

i grabbed the guitar and then there was no ticking sound. handed it back, there it was.

i thought... tele... tele... single coil... susceptible to noise and interference.

i looked at his hands, and he had an old fashioned watch on his right hand, with the clock face facing down. so when he played, the watch was facing the bridge pickup directly hahah! i had him move his hand near and away the pickup - problem solved. :)

Interesting. I just listened to your noise only clip. Most of the time, I get the same kind of noise as well with high gain amps. I mostly deal with it with the gate, but it's not always ideal.

Re: NOISE ISSUE - audio clip included

knoll said:
Can you post the patch you used in the clip? I could try it if I have similar issue.
I tested the patch today with my live rig. No noise. There was noise when I turned the gate off but that was to be expected.

I remember Cliff saying that some amps (or was it some high gain amps) generate more noise on higher master volume levels. So maybe you could try lowering the master and compensate by turning up the level. But I don't think that will solve your problem completely. I don't believe it would be that dramatic noise reduction.

Re: NOISE ISSUE - audio clip included

Charlie Wardick said:
[quote="Muris_Varajic":304hhgp3]
diggi said:
I should also mention that I am
using relatively low output pickups - Blackdogs from BK. The problem is more pronounced when I raise 1khz on my GEQ.

But no matter which higher gain amp, drive, cab, etc, it (the noise) is always present at various levels.

Now that might be a part of your problem,
clip was pretty brutal and with low output pickups you can't have both
tons of gain and noise free signal, unless you put noise gate heavily but then it eats your tone too much...
Have you tried with some other guitars, with more hotter pickups maybe?

I'll have to disagree with you on the pickups theory. It has not been my experience.[/quote:304hhgp3]

Pardon me for misleading few of you,
I thought Blackdog was a single and with "hotter" I meant humbucker, my bad...

That's correct, the BlackDog is a Humbucker from Bare Knuckles. It is a lower output pickup with a tighter bottom end (and who doesn't want a tight bottom end:)

The noise persists and I have turned on and off every gadget in the house, plus those in a detached garage.

Does anyone have an inkling as to what that sound might be from?

Thank you all for posting.

diggi said:
That's correct, the BlackDog is a Humbucker from Bare Knuckles. It is a lower output pickup with a tighter bottom end (and who doesn't want a tight bottom end:)

The noise persists and I have turned on and off every gadget in the house, plus those in a detached garage.

Does anyone have an inkling as to what that sound might be from?

Thank you all for posting.

Have you tried it in other locations like a different house, building or whatever?
Sorry if I missed that in thread, could be hunted house!!

UPDATE:

I fired up the X2, and went wireless. I left everything in the room as is, and everything outside the room as is.

The noise faded more and more the further I got away from my mixing/ recording desk.

I'm at work and just loaded up your patch. Why do you have the threshold at -44 but the ratio all the way up to 8? I keep the ratio around 3 but the threshold is all the way up to -25. Can you try that?

I use poorly shielded Jackson Dinky's with Dimarzio X2N super-hot humbuckers. Also, did you say that you're using a power conditioner or not?

EDIT: And this is WEIRD! Like I said I'm at work and dont have the axe or guitar with me. The filter's frequency number is constantly changing! I've never seen anything like this! Can you bypass your filter and add another filter?

diggi said:
UPDATE:

I fired up the X2, and went wireless. I left everything in the room as is, and everything outside the room as is.

The noise faded more and more the further I got away from my mixing/ recording desk.

There you go, now you need to find the culprit.

emperor_black said:
I'm at work and just loaded up your patch. Why do you have the threshold at -44 but the ratio all the way up to 8? I keep the ratio around 3 but the threshold is all the way up to -25. Can you try that?

I use poorly shielded Jackson Dinky's with Dimarzio X2N super-hot humbuckers. Also, did you say that you're using a power conditioner or not?

EDIT: And this is WEIRD! Like I said I'm at work and dont have the axe or guitar with me. The filter's frequency number is constantly changing! I've never seen anything like this! Can you bypass your filter and add another filter?

Try the patch with a guitar and the AxeFx. Perhaps that will answer some of your initial questions :)

The gate does not help the noise. I've tried many different gates, and many different settings - the filter I have instantiated, using the parameters I have decided on work well with my particular sound (hands, guitar, PU's and AxeFx Ultra)

Thanks for posting!

Has anyone used (successfully) one of the electrical outlet buffer gizmos for this type of noise problem (in case it's something I can't get away from using)

Back
Top Bottom