Re-Investigate which CPU processes Reverb

Intoodeep1113

Inspired
Thanks FAS for optimizing the reverb CPU usage greatly in FW5.0B!
I was wondering if it would be possible or beneficial to take another look at running the Reverb block on the CPU that runs the amp/cab block? I know that was the original plan before release. I was thinking it may be possible now that the Reverb block has reduced it's CPU requirements. Of course a lot has changed since then, so running delay 1 and 2 on that processor may still be the best way to go but I thought I would ask!

I think you're misremembering something. The Delay runs in the same core as the AMP modeling, which hasn't changed.

From https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=FM3#Processing:
Amp modeling runs on the 2nd core DSP, together with the Delay blocks.
[...]
The Delay block shares a core with amp modeling on the FM3.
[…]
Under certain circumstances (using an Amp block and two Delay blocks with Diffusion on) the second DSP could get overloaded. The easiest solution at this time was to remove the Diffusion parameter. If we are able to improve the code efficiency we will reinstate the parameter. You have to realize the FM3 has only about 1/5 the DSP power of an Axe-Fx III. Trying to fit all those goodies in there while not sacrificing audio quality is a balancing act. I ALWAYS insist on quality over quantity. That's what differentiates our products. It takes a LOT of horsepower to do it right.
Trying to add Reverb to that core would be crowded.

Greg,
You are correct, for how the FM3 currently works and has since release. Pre-Release of the FM3, it was planned that Reverb would run where the 2 delay blocks currently run.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...he-same-processor-what-does-this-mean.159263/

Before the FM3 began to ship, there was high demand for information about the FM3, its CPU requirements etc.

When pieces of information from official sources (FAS) were released, I added these to the wiki. That information was correct at the time.

Now that the FM3 and its Owner's Manual have been released, I've begun updating the wiki pages. Which is an enormous project and takes time (as Smittefar writes: my spare time). I'm updating the pages in alphabetical order (currently working on "C" pages). That's why there is (was) obsolete information on the "Reverb block" page.

The processor that runs the amp and two delays can't currently run them at previous levels. The 'Diffusion' parameters had to be removed after the release. I can't imagine that there is any way to include the Reverb block too.

The processor that runs the amp and two delays can't currently run them at previous levels. The 'Diffusion' parameters had to be removed after the release. I can't imagine that there is any way to include the Reverb block too.
I am saying take out the delay and put the reverb on that CPU. Just an idea now that Reverb is a bit less intense to process on the FM3.

I am saying take out the delay and put the reverb on that CPU. Just an idea now that Reverb is a bit less intense to process on the FM3.
I got you now. Not sure how possible that even is, and what it may do to existing preset? I have a feeling that even the new Reverb algorithm uses more CPU than the two Delay blocks.

But if possible, that may allow for the re-instatement of the 'Diffusion' parameters.

Back
Top Bottom