RE: Fireface 800 to Thunderbolt/PC/WIN8 or 7 ?

swass

Power User
I've been looking into possibly going firewire to thunderbolt with my PC. Just curious as to if anyone has got any pro's/cons, experience, advice, or conclusions for this transition with Win8 or 7. Will the TI chipset facter come into play as well?

I'll be inquiring over at RME as well but thought I'd just toss it out here as well. With all the knowledge to be had here at the Fractal Forum... I just may find some answers a little closer to home.:D

Last edited:
Are you talking about an adaptor, or replacing FireWire cards etc with thunderbolt cards?

I was looking onto replacing my mobo for a new one w/thunderbolt, (cheaper than cards). I would also have to use an adapter cable with FF800.

Last edited:
Since you would be using thunderbolt, the firewire chipset wouldn't come in play at all. I haven't tried it in windows but I am using a thunderbolt on a mac book pro w/ a firewire 400 cable adapter. It is able to record 28 channels at once with ease on my presonus 24.4.2. I will add, I am recording those tracks to an external thunderbolt hard drive as well. I haven't used thunderbolt on a pc though.

I will say that you probably will not gain anything by going with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter. It has to translate the firewire communication, so you might even loose a little performance. It will not go any faster than FW800.

Thanks for your input Sean. I appreciate it. You're right about it not going any faster than firewire 800 goes. I just wanted to gain some insight if it would be worth while adapting for the time being with the new mobo. I still have my trusty TI firewire cards to hold me over as I'll eventually be moving up to a thunderbolt interface. :D

Back
Top Bottom