RE: Dynaudio monitors

I would second this - Dynaudios really don’t make me want to turn them off, ever.

Am in the market for new studio monitors for home use. Want a really good listening experience with my axe, don’t need to critically assess mixes or anything. Just want something that does the axe justice in a not crazy price range that won’t give ear fatigue.

Comments like above are interesting. What is it about dynaudio sound?

Considering bm mkiiii, have also been considering Adam ax7 and focal solo 6be (2nd hand availble near me, new would be our ofbmy budget range)

Am in the market for new studio monitors for home use. Want a really good listening experience with my axe, don’t need to critically assess mixes or anything. Just want something that does the axe justice in a not crazy price range that won’t give ear fatigue.

Comments like above are interesting. What is it about dynaudio sound?

Considering bm mkiiii, have also been considering Adam ax7 and focal solo 6be (2nd hand availble near me, new would be our ofbmy budget range)

If you have any way of trying of the different monitors out yourself definitely do so, as it's hardly a case of one set/brand being better than the others, more a personal and subjective thing.
The 3 monitors you mention are all very capable of sounding good and a person with good ears can mix on either of them.

It's been awhile since I hear either of the mentioned speakers, so I'm trying not to be too categorical here as I'm going from memory.
To me all the Dynaudios that I've tried have just always sounded very very musical, and they always strike a good balance of sounding musical and enjoyable, while still being revealing of the different parts in mix without giving me ear fatigue.
Adams Ax7 have a big following as well and have a unique ribbon tweeter, that gives great clarity and extension of the hi-end frequencies, but as revealing as that is (and the reason many loves them), thats why I personally really dislike them, they can be a good mixing tool but that ribbon tweeter as impressive as it is initially just grinds at my ears after a short while and gives me ear fatigue, and IMHO thus is not a good monitor to enjoy listening to music on, to me it's a mix monitor, and one that I wouldn't want to work on for very long stretches at a time.
In a completely league incl price wise the ATC's at least from SCM50A's and up are as revealing in the hi-end while sounding musical and not inducing ear fatigue, so that tells me that it's the ribbon tweeter in tha Adams and not the hi-end freq range that my ears dislike.
But as I said, that is really personal, and you and others might love the Adam ax7's sound.
No right or wrong just personal preference.
I tried some of the Focal smaller monitor ages ago and didn't take to them, but that was in a store and maybe placement ect. was to blame for that, and I've tried some of the Focal Twins in a friends home based hobby studio and they sounded really good in his room, so I'm guessing the Solos will too if set up correctly in a decent room.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Reactions: bke
Thanks for the reply. My problem is I’ve no way to check out. No shops anywhere near me stock any of these.

I’ve no need to clinical mixing and just want speakers that sound good and enjoyable with no ear fatigue.

The bm mkiii caught my eye as from what I have been reading about them they may suite me more than the Adams, and since their new monitors have come our have been heavily discounted.

The bm mkiii caught my eye as from what I have been reading about them they may suite me more than the Adams, and since their new monitors have come our have been heavily discounted.

My opinion - if you have a great deal on BM series - go and grab them. I have BM5s which I bought a while ago, somehow missed the discount party by the time I thought to maybe get a bigger pair. If you still have them available where you are, don’t miss it.

You can’t go really wrong with either of these, we’re talking about rather subtle character differences here, but simply because it’s often difficult to compare them first hand, get the ones that have a good deal on them. If later you decide that you like Adams or something else better, you can sell the Dynaudios without losing much. There’s nothing wrong with buying monitors used, they are meant to last for a long time, but those class D amplifiers are difficult and costly to repair, IMO.

My opinion - if you have a great deal on BM series - go and grab them. I have BM5s which I bought a while ago, somehow missed the discount party by the time I thought to maybe get a bigger pair. If you still have them available where you are, don’t miss it.

You can’t go really wrong with either of these, we’re talking about rather subtle character differences here, but simply because it’s often difficult to compare them first hand, get the ones that have a good deal on them. If later you decide that you like Adams or something else better, you can sell the Dynaudios without losing much. There’s nothing wrong with buying monitors used, they are meant to last for a long time, but those class D amplifiers are difficult and costly to repair, IMO.

Think that’s the way in probably going to go. Cheers.

I have been mixing on dynaudio bm5a monitors for the past 9 years and they always translate very well. They also don't give a lot of hearing fatigue. They have a fairly flat, but lush sound to them.

I have been mixing on dynaudio bm5a monitors for the past 9 years and they always translate very well. They also don't give a lot of hearing fatigue. They have a fairly flat, but lush sound to them.

They arrived today. Had just a little time with them but early impressions are very positive. Low end good. Low kids are great. Can hear good detail, not muddy at st all.

Room isn’t treated so need to do some moving around to deal with the rear ports but not a major issue.

Impression today (honeymoon period) is like getting an awesome new firmware that just made everything better. So far so happy;-)

Did anyone here ever try the Dynaudio Lyd 48 monitors with the AxeFx yet? I have the Adam A7x right now, but ditching the ribbon tweeter and gaining a dedicated 4" midrange driver in theory seems like it'd be way, way better than the Adams.

Back
Top Bottom