Re-arrange grid, levels don't match

Wildwind

Experienced
Not sure how to say this...just bought an AX8. Long-time Axe-Fx user.

A couple of years ago, I re-arranged my patches (on the grid) into two row using Send and Return Blocks. AX8 doesn't have these.

So using the Axe-Fx, I am putting them all back in a single row (they just fit), deleting the Send and Return along with some unused blocks (like a 2nd delay and PEQ).

Still on the Axe-Fx for my canvas, comparing the two patches, the tone sounds identical, but there is level dropoff of maybe 3 dB for the new patch. BTW, I am using Scenes. At this moment, I've only compared Scene 1, essentially a clean Urban Twin. I'll check the rest here in a minute but expect the same result.

I can't explain the volume reduction (maybe the Send and Return boost/buffer a bit?) and I'm curious as to the best way get my 3 dB back. First try increasing the output on the Amp block generated a tone change with a bit of distortion. Second try I did kick up the Cab block 3 dB and that gets back most of it. Will try raising it again but not sure if I'm doing more harm than good.

When I get them set up on the Axe-Fx, I'll transfer them to the AX8 - where other surprises may await!

Make sense? I hope so. Any thoughts?

post preset files or at least screenshots. otherwise we are guessing hundreds of possibilities.

Here they are. I would appreicate your insights.

I did turn up the Cab block's level 5 dB which did seem to work nicely. And the level changes did affect all three Scenes.

Thanks!

One more addition, if I could. CPU usage was only 72% on the Axe-Fx, but 88% on the AX8. I'm new to the AX8 but believe that is dangerously high. Am I correct? I know I'll get a bit without USB. I just don't want any trouble when using the AX8 live. This matrix is typical for my uses.

Attachments

• Scene Matrix Inline(AX8).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Scene Matrix Inline.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1

You posted an Axe-FX II preset and one AX8 preset. I'm assuming these presets with the same routing/settings seem to give the same output level on the utility menu's meters. Is that accurate?

To figure out why the 5 dB cab level increase was needed to maintain level, we need to see two Axe-FX II presets: one before and one after rearranging the grid. Not the "after" preset plus converted AX8 preset.

One more addition, if I could. CPU usage was only 72% on the Axe-Fx, but 88% on the AX8. I'm new to the AX8 but believe that is dangerously high. Am I correct? I know I'll get a bit without USB. I just don't want any trouble when using the AX8 live.

Yes, that's in the danger zone for the AX8.

Sorry! Posted on the way out the door, pre-caffeine. Will have to do this after work.

Bakerman, I did not check the levels, was only going by ear. Obviously I have more work to do.

yek, thanks. I need to do more trimming. What is a good target number? I do realize a "one size fits all" patch is unwise and have no problem customizing for each song to stay out of trouble.

I did turn up the Cab block's level 5 dB which did seem to work nicely. And the level changes did affect all three Scenes.

Thanks!

One more addition, if I could. CPU usage was only 72% on the Axe-Fx, but 88% on the AX8. I'm new to the AX8 but believe that is dangerously high. Am I correct? I know I'll get a bit without USB. I just don't want any trouble when using the AX8 live. This matrix is typical for my uses.
Are the levels between Axe and AX8 different? Is that what we are trying to solve? I'm confused.

No. The revised patch set, created on the Axe-Fx, is about 5dB quieter - on the Axe-Fx.

It's not a problem. I made the adjustment. But Scenes and the AX8 are new to me and I thought maybe I missed a step. I haven't done the same comparison on the AX8 yet.

Okay, here are the correct patches for your perusal. Sorry for messing this up.

Attachments

• Scene Matrix Inline.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Scene Matrix.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
Okay, here are the correct patches for your perusal. Sorry for messing this up.
in your original preset you have 2 PEQ blocks - one at +8 dB and another at -11 dB. in the inline preset, there is only 1 PEQ at +4.

this could be a source of level difference.

in your original preset, you have a parallel row near the end that joins back with itself - this adds level. the inline preset does not have that, meaning it has less level.

those are the 2 main things i'd look at. regardless, it shouldn't matter too much as to what makes less or more level per preset. just set something to get the level you want. i typically stick with the Amp Level parameter.

however, if you have major differences among Scenes, it's probably due to the PEQ blocks that are on/off in different Scenes in the original preset.

Back
Top Bottom